Bottle seals

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JabbA

Bottle seals

Post by JabbA » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12 pm

I've inherited a couple of what I assume to be lager bottles, both holding 2l.

Image Image

On giving them a clean I noticed that both the rubber seals have perished, can anyone shed any light on where i might be able to replace them?

They're aprox. 57mm in diameter overall.

Cheers,
Jamie

JabbA

Re: Bottle seals

Post by JabbA » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Ahaa! a quick Google came up with the brewery in Germany, alas my command of the German language extends only to being able of ordering 2 large beers!

http://www.celler-bier.de/

Cheers,
Jamie

crowds

Post by crowds » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Too big to try Grolsh bottle seals ?

crowds

Post by crowds » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Lol sorry just noticed the bottom pic ! WAYYYYY too big :D

Jack Hackett

Post by Jack Hackett » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Great bottle :D , I got one just the same, fortunately my seal is OK but you have got me interested in hunting down a spare or two, if I locate some I'll be sure to let you know.

The bottle is known as a German 'Growler' made by a company called 'Koch' if that helps, Im still looking :)

update: I have sent an email to koch-usa inquiring about new seals, I will keep you informed.
http://www.koch-usa.com

If you do a google search for 'replacement growler gasket' it throws up plenty of suppliers in the US, alas I cant find one in the UK

Replacement gasket for the 2 liter growler. Measurements are: Outside diameter 2 1/4", Inside diameter 1 1/16" and thickness is about 1/8".
Hope all this info helps :)

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 am

Fantastic, cheers Jack =D> Will keep you posted if I come up with anything!

Cheers muchly,
Jamie

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:30 am

I've just been on the phone to Beers of Europe and the very nice chap on the other end suggested contacting the Belgium brewery Bonsecours who also use the bottles.

Unfortunately Google comes up with nothing! He also mentioned that he would have a word with the German suppliers and see if they would bung a few our way!

Cheers,
Jamie

Jack Hackett

Post by Jack Hackett » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:25 pm

There are a number German, Belgian and Dutch breweries that use these large bottles for some of their beers, mine had 'Christoffel Robertus' in it, a Dutch brewhouse.