Burco conversion project

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
HantsGaz

Burco conversion project

Post by HantsGaz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 am

Hi all,

As my Burco HLT/Boiler has started to stop boiling for a few minutes approx. every 15 minutes I've now decided it's time to completely convert the original Burco, including:

1. Bypassing the current thermostat - to avoid the now inevitable regular 15 min 'plink' from the thermostat (but keeping the thermal cut-out switch in operation to avoid damage by boiling dry or switching on without any water in it)

2. Wiring up and fitting a Mashmaster Mashmate, including the temperature probe

3. Replacing the current tap with a 15mm 3 lever ball valve

4. Adding a sight tube (may need Garth's/kit help here :) [-o< )

5. Building a hop strainer from stainless meshing

No doubt I will be seeking advice along the way :) ..........

......... Starting with - bypassing the thermostat. Here's a picture of the Burco’s wiring :

I'm wondering if bypassing the thermostat is as simple as (not going to assume anything though!) :

1. Disconnecting both ends of the grey wire that runs from the upper element connection to the back of the thermostat - and discarding this wire

2. Disconnecting the end of the blue wire at the back of the thermostat and reconnecting it to the now vacant upper connection of the element.

I won't even think of doing anything until someone like sparkypaul has ok'd this or told me how to do it; plus as I don’t have the MashMate yet I have plenty of time to plan this part out.

Rgds, Gaz.
Last edited by HantsGaz on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparky Paul

Re: Burco conversion project

Post by sparky Paul » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Yes, that's it. Spot on. 8)

That way, you are disconnecting the thermostat (simmerstat on some models) but retaining the boil-dry trip in the middle of the element.

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Super - many thanks Paul.

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Now onto part 2 - fitting the MashMate's temp probe. This is a 20cm x 8.5mm stainless probe with a 1/2" NPT thread on the end. What I'm thinking of doing is to cut a hole with a q-max cutter into the Burco wall, and into that put a 1/2" female coupler on the outside and tighten it up with a locking nut on the inside. Then using a lot of PVA tape [-o< around the probes thread, screw that into the coupler. But before I do this, does anyone else have a better method or comments? Especially on what washers to use?

It may have been nice to be able to fit the temp probe underneath the Burco (where the original temp sensor is - as per the above picture) but the thread size makes it impractical).

Thanks, Gaz.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:59 pm

What are you going to do with the temperature controller?

It will be fine to control the temperature of hot liquor, but you cannot control the vigour of a boil with a thermostat, because boiling water stays at 100°C or thereabouts, no matter how much energy is pumped into it.

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Graham,

In the interm (until I source a slightly larger boiler) I was planning on doing both (so as to try and get a less vigorous boil from the Burco). What haven't I thought about/considered regarding the boil :oops: ? Do I need to better control/regulate the power too, somehow?

*EDIT: Or maybe even not disconnect the current thermostat, but relocate the Burco's probe away from the floor pan of the boiler - hoping that the current thermostat will then provide greater control, rather than turning the element off every 15 mins or so?

The long term plan is to use my Burco as an HLT.

Rgds, Gaz.