Can I make a boiler out of this?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JammyBStard

Can I make a boiler out of this?

Post by JammyBStard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:12 pm

I've just got my hands on a few of these 30L Food safe containers, I was going to give them a try as FV's.

I'm thinking I might turn one into a boiler, they are made of a tuff thick blue plastic does anyone know if they're OK with the heat?

This one used to hold mango chutney, so its in the bath full of bleach solution, I hope I can get rid of the smell otherwise I'll be making a speciality beer.

kevron

Re: Can I make a boiler out of this?

Post by kevron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:55 pm

hi JammyBStard,
I sometimes use one of those barrels if I happen to run out of gas for my burner, the way that I got rid of the smell was to wash the barrel out with bleach as you have done, but then leave it outside for a couple of days empty with the lid off and let the smell evaporate into the air :wink: , before I did this I must have washed the barrel about 20 times but the smell was allways there as I was keep replacing the lid. keep the lid off, really it does work :=P

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:09 am

kevron wrote:hi JammyBStard,
I sometimes use one of those barrels if I happen to run out of gas for my burner, the way that I got rid of the smell was to wash the barrel out with bleach as you have done, but then leave it outside for a couple of days empty with the lid off and let the smell evaporate into the air :wink: , before I did this I must have washed the barrel about 20 times but the smell was allways there as I was keep replacing the lid. keep the lid off, really it does work :=P

Top Tip!

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:09 pm

kevron wrote:hi JammyBStard,
It really does work!

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Hey Jammy,
Yep you sure can.....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24638#p272620

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Bobba
What did you use to cover up the black plastic bits on the dry side of the element?

JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Talk to me Bobba