Adding a tap to a plastic FV?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Parva

Adding a tap to a plastic FV?

Post by Parva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:49 am

Hi guys, this is going to be a silly question I know but I'm hopeless at DIY and need something to make a hole for a tap in one of my FV's. Basically, I have a Youngs FV (~25l) which came with a tap fitted and I recently bought another FV (Youngs again) from Wilkinsons and this has the 'cutout' area marked where the tap would go but no tap currently. I really want to ramp up production and whilst I have two FV's with taps already I'd like to add a tap to my third FV which is this Youngs keg. I have used the untapped FV a few times but suffer nightmares whilst syphoning and stuff and as I don't secondary I invariably end up dragging a load of sediment across to the cornie, a problem I don't suffer on the tapped kegs.

I've got myself a standard tap to fit this FV but what do I use to cut out the hole to put the tap into? I know that the hole is marked out on the FV but taking a Stanley knife to it doesn't sound right and I'd invariably end up wrecking it. I'd like to know as ideally I want to buy a couple more FV's so that I can really get the brewing going so rather than pay more for an FV that's already got a tap on I would rather figure out how I can add one myself without ruining the FV in the process. What do I need? Cheers in advance.

Pritch

Re: Adding a tap to a plastic FV?

Post by Pritch » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 am

I did mine the other day using a flat wood bit (22mm, I think - yours may differ, depending on the tap I guess), and it worked remarkably well. I wasn't too sure whether it would give me a nice clean hole, but in the end it was fine - just take it slow and steady.

If you use the 'hammer' setting on the drill, then you're doing it wrong!

kfm

Post by kfm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 am

Like Pritch I also used a wood bit on drill setting on the lowest speed setting too for more control (Makita 18v lithium can be mental). I drilled a 3mm pilot hole first, after measuring up. Then I drilled from the inside of the FV with the woodbit, very slowly using the pilot hole to guide the bit. No need to go all the way through, in fact you shouldn't because drilling from both sides is what will give you a clean cut. As soon as the inside was scored , I switched to the outside and then gently went all the way through. Nice clean hole, didn't even have to remove any plastic burr

Parva

Post by Parva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:26 am

Hmmmm, using a 22mm what? I can manage a drill and realise that I shouldn't have it on the hammer setting! :)

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 am

Edit: don't pay any attention to this advice, I didn't know what I was talking about!

The thing you need is called a hole saw, you should be able to pick a set of different sizes up in your local tool store and get change from a tenner. Or use the flat bit other people have suggested.
Last edited by Invalid Stout on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grmills

Post by grmills » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:09 pm

You'll get a much cleaner cut with a flat bit than a hole-saw.

Parva

Post by Parva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Aha, now I know what I'm looking for. Cheers chaps. :)

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:19 pm

grmills wrote:You'll get a much cleaner cut with a flat bit than a hole-saw.
I give way to superior knowledge.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:06 pm

I used a Swann Morton scapel knife which has a small blade and gave me far more control than using a Stanley knife when I cut out my hole on the Youngs FV.

It worked a treat. :wink:

alabaster cheeks

Post by alabaster cheeks » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Dremmels are great for cutting holes in plastic :D

flything

Post by flything » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Are these the fermentors that have a 4" screw top? Was looking at one in Wilkinsons the other day, thought it looked good for a tenner.

One thought though, the markings for the tap hole seem very high up, 3" or so from the bottom, doesn't this necessitate a lot of tipping to get all the contents out? It's bad enough on my buckets with the tap 1 1/2" from the bottom...

Nick

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:21 pm

flything wrote: doesn't this necessitate a lot of tipping to get all the contents out? It's bad enough on my buckets with the tap 1 1/2" from the bottom...
Not if you use a syphon tube. :wink:

I only use the tap to take a sample, via a trial jar, so I can take a hydrometer reading.

Parva

Post by Parva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:52 pm

flything wrote:Are these the fermentors that have a 4" screw top? Was looking at one in Wilkinsons the other day, thought it looked good for a tenner.

One thought though, the markings for the tap hole seem very high up, 3" or so from the bottom, doesn't this necessitate a lot of tipping to get all the contents out? It's bad enough on my buckets with the tap 1 1/2" from the bottom...

Nick
Yep, that's the one. The tap is located a little on the high side but when I get down near that level I just tilt the FV forwards and put someing underneath the back of it to keep it steady, not had any problems doing that.

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm

grmills wrote:You'll get a much cleaner cut with a flat bit than a hole-saw.
You are quite right, I've just ruined a fermenting bucket trying to do it with a hole saw :(

Any way I can bung this up again? The hole is 2-3mm too big.

Gazzababbo

Post by Gazzababbo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I did this at the weekend using a 25ml flat wood on a bog standard bin and it was Ok. Follow the advice above for great results.

I do have one question that's bugging me however. Does it matter what side the rubber washer goes? I put mine on the inside but I have seen them on the outside of FVs. I tested it with a full load of water for a few hours and no leaks but I couldn't find any info about which side to place the washer.

Any thoughts?