Adding a tap to a plastic FV?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Lillywhite

Re: Adding a tap to a plastic FV?

Post by Lillywhite » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Gazzababbo wrote: Any thoughts?
They're designed to go on the outside.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:19 pm

The last few plastic fermenters I have put holes in for taps I used a 22mm copper pipe joiner, in a pair of plastic handled pliers heated up on the gas stove, then when it was hot enough I pushed it through the bucket at the right place, no mess, no bits of plastic everywhere, and a smooth hole with no jagged edges to hide the nasties.

it then just needs a quick tidy/trim with a Stanley knife

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:05 pm

This might seem like a daft question, but how do you get the beer from the FV to the cornie via a tap? Does the cornie come with a tube that can be attached to the tap, and so avoid the beer splashing about and picking up oxygen on the way?

I'll soon be adding a tap to a FV so I can add a bottler to it - I'd be interested if there'd be another use for it.

Weejock

Post by Weejock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Most DIY holesaws are pretty useless for any task, for an FV a plumber's tank cutter is made for the job, drill 3mm pilot then tank-cut half on one side then other. We buy our tank cutters from Screwfix, should be available from wickes or builders merchant, forget B&Q etc.

Spade bits are designed for wood and can suffer from wobble in other materials, risking an oval rather than circular cut.

As you can see from the previous posts there are different methods, whatever works for you...

I like the idea of a 22mm heated pipe union, as far as a pipe fitting is concerned the 22mm would be an inside diameter measurement, has this raised any problems? I'm guessing a heated peice of 22mm (o/d)copper tube would be better?

Must give it a go...

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:23 pm

harry_mac wrote:This might seem like a daft question, but how do you get the beer from the FV to the cornie via a tap? Does the cornie come with a tube that can be attached to the tap, and so avoid the beer splashing about and picking up oxygen on the way?

I'll soon be adding a tap to a FV so I can add a bottler to it - I'd be interested if there'd be another use for it.
I use taps with Hozelock male connections, I then use a piece of tubing with a female Hozelock on one end and a black cornie disconnect on the other, the beer is then delivered from the fv into the bottom of the cornie down the long dip tube, minimising splashing, you can even fill the cornie full of CO2 first then release it so you can get the lid off, the beer then goes in under a CO2 blanket as it's heavier than air, I've done this in the past but tbh I think it's a bit overkill.

Weejock, the hole which the heated up union connector makes is still a tad small for a fv tap to fit thus the need for a slight bit of trimming with a sharp blade

Weejock

Post by Weejock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Does anyone know the correct size for an FV tap? If a 22mm fitting is too small, is it 1" - 24.5mm?

I'm sure I've got some old imperial tank cutters in the toolbox...

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Garth :)
Garth wrote: I use taps with Hozelock male connections
I didn't know you could get such taps. Do you know where I could get one? (I hate syphoning)

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 pm

harry_mac wrote:I didn't know you could get such taps. Do you know where I could get one? (I hate syphoning)
good 'ole fleabay

eBay Taps

they are basically a standard black fv tap, but instead of a barb for a tube it has the hozelock fitting, well handy, and as it's only transferring cold liquid I'm not bothered about any nasty leeching from the tap or the hozelock connector.

andyb2

Post by andyb2 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi,

I've got a related question.

When cleaning my FV, the plastic tap came loose, and started leaking.

No problem I thought, just tighten it up. This seemed to do the trick, but on my last brew, when collecting the wort from the mash tun, the tap came loose again. Luckily I had another FV (without a tap) so it wasn't a complete loss (just lots of mopping up!)

After cleaning everything up, I've had a look at the tap. It tightens up ok, but any movement on the tap knocks the back nut off the thread.

Is this due to the temperature of the wort softening the plastic, or just a duff tap? I'm a bit reluctant to replace like for like in case it comes off again.

Is it possible to use a copper pipe, tank connector and ball value? I'm not sure if the fv will take the weight?

The FV is the hop and grape 30 litre bucket and tap.

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:10 am

Garth wrote:
harry_mac wrote:I didn't know you could get such taps. Do you know where I could get one? (I hate syphoning)
good 'ole fleabay

eBay Taps

they are basically a standard black fv tap, but instead of a barb for a tube it has the hozelock fitting, well handy, and as it's only transferring cold liquid I'm not bothered about any nasty leeching from the tap or the hozelock connector.
Thanks, I've ordered a couple of those :)

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

if you're not anywhere near a garden centre or B&Q, here's some really cheap Hozelock connectors that will go onto the taps.

Hozelock Connectors

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Bit late I know, but you can get a 26mm flat drill bit on ebay £2.78 delivered, it cuts an ideal size hole for 3/4" BSP threaded taps. I just bought one because I ballsed up the last hole I cut using a blunt 25mm flat bit (25mm is slightly undersized anyway).
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Brewed_Force
Sober

Post by Brewed_Force » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm

I use a stepped drill like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiveseen-Metri ... Bits&psc=1
Just be careful to mark the step and drill out to a couple of steps before that, then proceed with care.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 am

Anyone on the original thread still alive? :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer