Modifying a dishwasher

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MDE
Steady Drinker

Modifying a dishwasher

Post by MDE » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 am

Has anyone tried to improve a dishwasher by making a custom "bottle-washing tray"? I have in mind making one from small bore pipe so that each bottle goes onto its own little spray pipe with the whole thing fed from the supply in the bottom centre of the machine.

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: Modifying a dishwasher

Post by edit1now » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I've been thinking about that but I've got nowhere to put a dishwasher. The ideal thing would to modify the bottom sprayer so it squirted up into each bottle, maybe by making a criss-cross rack of 8mm tubing with upwards-pointing nozzles, while keeping the top spray arm to rinse the outsides. This would work where the two original spray arms are fed separately, but on some dishwashers the top one gets water fired up from the bottom one...

You'd also need to mod the crockery tray, or find a way of fitting a plastic bottle crate so it would go into the dishwasher with the bottles upside down.

I would then use soda crystals (washing soda) instead of dishwasher powder to avoid any possible detergent remaining on the bottles.

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:27 pm

You can get bottle type trays for comercial dishwashers it might be worth having a look at them and seeing how they hook them up.
We have one at work for glass washing its very similar to a standard one the tray has metal tubes with an aray of holes up it that the bottle sits on but I'm not sure how it hooks up to the water.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Its not relevant but in the states they use tumble dryers to malt grain. I've been considering it as I have access to free barley. Think the wife may go nuts mind. Also, why not mash and sparge with a dishwasher? Just a random thought.... Subsonic

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:40 pm

My voice controlled washing machine is in a good mood for once.... :D