Vacuum packing machines - Advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Subsonic

Vacuum packing machines - Advice

Post by Subsonic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a vac pack machine to do my hops cos I have so many of them. Can anyone point me to a cheap and cheerful one? I know there have been posts about Lidl having them every now and again but everytime I have gone they never have had one. Theres some on fleabay for £40 odd but if anyone has a recommendation please let me know. Cheers Subsonic

Scooby

Re: Vacuum packing machines - Advice

Post by Scooby » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:23 pm

I recently researched this and found good and bad reports about nearly all the readily available sealers.

I work on the fact you get what you pay for (normally), so decided to avoid the really cheap ones, I eventually purchased a Freshield Elite II, a little above what I initially wanted to pay but it came with a reasonable amount of good quality bags and during my search around I found The freshield Aus web site. I make that about £150 so I took the plunge and I'm more than satisfied. It's well made and has a solid feel to it, and vacs as tight as any I've had from all the usual suppliers.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Scooby, as always a great reply and thanks for the info! My hops have been in my polytunnel since Saturday and are absolutely dried. At 35-40c during the day its perfect. Trouble is, the farmer wants me to pick more! He keeps ringing with more locations and I feel bad if I don't pick them! Tomorrow night I have to go again and pick some more :oops: I'm going to either get the vac packer or go down the route of my mums advice, put in strong plastic bags, insert a straw and suck the hell out! Then quickly twist and tie. I tried this with some beans from the tunnel (all bl@@dy 6 kilos) :cry: and it worked a treat! Cheers mate I'm bookmarking that one. Subsonic.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 pm

My Mum always did that and that was what I was doing with my hops, I used a ziplock bag and quickly zippered it across as I withdrew the straw :lol:

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 pm

You lot are just a couple of suckers! :roll: #-o

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 pm

pdtnc wrote:You lot are just a couple of suckers! :roll: #-o
Now that's the last straw ;) I hop so anyway :D
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:00 pm

doh! ;)

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 pm

My lips are all suckered out tonight. I've sucked off for at least 1 hour, I feel sorry for the wife now lol. (this will probably get deleted by the mods snigger...)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Does she normally do you vacuum packing?????? :roll: