6.5 Gallon Glass Carboys

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Littlemonk

6.5 Gallon Glass Carboys

Post by Littlemonk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:35 am

Where can I get some 6.5 gallon glass carboys from?

Any help appreciated, I'm based in London.

Cheers.

mysterio

Re: 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboys

Post by mysterio » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Got a homebrew shop near you? I wouldn't risk getting one mail order but I believe hop & grape do them.

Any particular reason you want one? They very difficult to clean :|

tractor

Post by tractor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:37 pm

use a plastic water container, the ones that sit on top of water coolers in offices, they don't affect the flavour of whatever your brewing and you can throw them away afterwards so you don't have to clean them. just drill out the cap so it's big enough to fit a rubber bung in and an air lock

o and they're 5 gallons

Littlemonk

Post by Littlemonk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:17 pm

mysterio wrote:Got a homebrew shop near you? I wouldn't risk getting one mail order but I believe hop & grape do them.

Any particular reason you want one? They very difficult to clean :|
Thanks, I will look in to that.

The reason is so I can use them in the fermentation stage of my first all grain homebrew.

Littlemonk

Post by Littlemonk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm

tractor wrote:use a plastic water container, the ones that sit on top of water coolers in offices, they don't affect the flavour of whatever your brewing and you can throw them away afterwards so you don't have to clean them. just drill out the cap so it's big enough to fit a rubber bung in and an air lock

o and they're 5 gallons
Thanks tractor. Isn't plastic more porous than glass; possibly affecting the quality of my brew?

The reason I want 6.5 gallon size is so there's plenty of room for fermentation, particularly for a stronger, extreme ale. Would these 5 gallon containers do the job?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm

There are also plastic carboys available called 'better bottles'. Plastic is not detrimental to the beer quality, the only disadvantage is they can potentially be scratched which can harbour bacteria, but its generally not a problem unless you use something abrasive when cleaning.

Most of us use plastic buckets, they work great, are cheap, easy to lift and clean. Glass is heavy, difficult to lift, and potentially dangerous when wet and slippery, however they will potentially last longer if you dont break them

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 pm

The standard water cooler ones are 3 gallons/15 litre. Still useful though.

fivetide

Post by fivetide » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I used wine fermenters and clear bottles and the like, but for ease of cleaning, flexibility in brewing and value for money, you really can't beat a big plastic bucket. Get one that is slightly transparent so you can see yeast cake levels and watch vigorous fermentation (cover them with bin liners if likely to be exposed to a lot of light). Get taps fitted to them so you can use them for bottling and other transfers. They'll only cost you about tenner all in. Also, I use these buckets for all manner of jobs around the brewery and beyond, from equipment sterilising to hop picking. Just very handy thingies, whereas glass carboys, though things of beauty undeniably, are just accidents waiting to happen, and a bitch to clean.

joe37

Post by joe37 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 pm

I've been using plastic buckets for beer fv's for some time. Recently I've been fermenting TC in glass djs. It's really interesting to be able to see the yeast working & see how the brew clears over time.Been thinking of getting a glass CB for an ale fv (once again passion prevails over economics!) - they also make great secondary fvs owing to the sanitary qualities of glass. I've just got to sell it to the missis!. Most reputable HB shops sell them. :^o

grumpysod

Post by grumpysod » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 pm

boingy wrote:The standard water cooler ones are 3 gallons/15 litre. Still useful though.
All the ones that I've seen are 18.9 litre, including the 3 I've borrowed from work :wink: