Hop strainer for Leyland boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Drafty

Hop strainer for Leyland boiler

Post by Drafty » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:39 am

Hi all,

I've just picked up a Leyland 33 l boiler. It didn't come with a hop strainer, so I'm planning to make one... but the back of the tap doesn't have much thread exposed (after the back nut), so I'm guessing I need to make something that just pushes in there. The tap is a bit too small to slide 15mm copper pipe in, so I guess I'll need to bridge over with a bit of plastic tubing... but I'm worried that the tubing won't stand up to the heat of the boil, and I'm also worried that the strainer could get knocked off during the boil.

So, anyone got any ideas for a simple strainer that will push into the back of my tap? It's that or replace the tap with a tank connector and ball valve....

Matt

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Hop strainer for Leyland boiler

Post by borischarlton » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 am

Matt,

It was the same on my Burco. I got a small section of 15mm copper tube, split it lengthways so that I could reduce the size just enough so that if fits tight on the inside but I can still take it off for easy cleaning. Hope that makes sense #-o

Rob

flything

Post by flything » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 am

At the moment I use a piece of rolled up mesh cut from an Ikea frying pan splatter guard, about 4 inches long, folded over at the end, slips into the back of the tap.

It's never fallen out and the run off is fine, takes about 25 minutes to drain through the CFC. I unroll the mesh and stick it in the dishwasher after each use. With a bit of tipping I leave about a pint of wort in the bottom of the boiler, along with the hops and hot break, you might do slightly better with a strainer that gets closer to the bottom but it's not something I worry about.

Simple!

Drafty

Post by Drafty » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a 15mm drill bit handy, so I'll try cutting a bit of copper pipe and tapering the end a bit... if that fails then I'll probably drill out the tap.

Cheers,

Matt