Problem with little bottler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Problem with little bottler

Post by mixbrewery » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Mine seems to have a mind of it's own :(
Sometimes it works fine but other times it leaks, anything from a dribble to the soddin' valve not closing at all.

Worse thing is you never know what the status is until your bottle is nearly full and you are getting ready for the next one, only to find the valve has not closed and you over fill the bottle and piss beer over the worktop while trying to get the stick into the next one.

I don't normally bottle more than 15 bottles from my 50 ltr batch so i can live with it.
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

flything

Post by flything » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 pm

Yeah sorry to say but my little bottler works great, maybe the odd drip but nothing you'd worry about.

beergut

Post by beergut » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 pm

I bought a youngs complete little bottler and thought it was crap.I then changed to a fermtech bottling stick and found a massive improvement, no more dribbles, spills and stuck valves. Made in canada from decent plastic.

mooj
Hollow Legs

Post by mooj » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 pm

I only bottle and I use the brupaks bottler stick - in fact I two. I have a bottling bucket with two taps so I can do two bottles at once. If you have an assistant this is a good tip for speeding up the process. I'm a glutton for punishment though, I often do 80-100 bottles each brew :roll:

I have found they drip sometimes, however even two drips per bottle for 100 bottles amounts to a small puddle of beer. If any crud gets through though, sometimes the smallest fleck of yeast, they may stick open and you will have more of a problem. Only option there is to clean the valve before re-starting.

These are not precision valves, they are a cheaply manufactured plastic products. Undoubtedly some will seal better than others. I guess you might get lucky or unlucky.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 pm

beergut wrote:I bought a youngs complete little bottler and thought it was crap.I then changed to a fermtech bottling stick and found a massive improvement, no more dribbles, spills and stuck valves. Made in canada from decent plastic.

That's the one I use :wink:

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person who has that problem!

I might try one of the Fermentech ones. And a single purpose bottling bucket with a spigot would be a good investment. Syphoning it out of secondary and then again into bottles is a hassle.