Thermobox as a fermenter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Digby Swift

Thermobox as a fermenter

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 pm

I have purchased a 60L Nordic Optical Thermobox with the intention of using it as a fermenter. My plan is to have a stainless coil attached to the lid that will be connected to my flash chiller and tc-10.

Can anybody who has these advise me of a way of connecting a coil through the lid to the flash chiller as I am having trouble finding fittings that will do it. I have spoken to 2 plumbers merchants who couldn't come up with something that would do it. This could be down to me now explaining it very clearly but you guys will know what I want to do.

On my plastic fermenters I have a cable gland from maplin to put the tc-10 probe in but becuase of the insulated lid I won't be able to use that idea for this one. Any ideas on what I can do here? Could I just trap it between the pot and the lid?

Thanks all

Scooby

Re: Thermobox as a fermenter

Post by Scooby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Drill/grind clearance holes in the outer top, there should be foam insulation in there, scrap it away and fit you gland for the probe in one and the couplers if that is what your using in the others. You'll need a forth one for a blow off tube/airlock.

Vossy took a portion off the bottom of his Tun this should give you an idea of what it's like, but you'll just need individual clearance holes I guess.

Digby Swift

Re: Thermobox as a fermenter

Post by Digby Swift » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:48 pm

I always seem to miss the simple solution. Thanks for that scooby