JG Speed fit

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Cheshire-cheese

JG Speed fit

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:58 pm

To those that use these fittings: Do you, as I would have thought, use the inserts to hold the shape of the tube?

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: JG Speed fit

Post by edit1now » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 am

What tube are you thinking of? Ordinary vinyl tubing doesn't work all that well pushed into JG fittings - it might be better to buy some hose barb stems to go between the tube and the fittings. Stiff beer line works really well.

In the larger sizes (domestic plumbing) I think you're supposed to use inserts with barrier pipe and blue water pipe.

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:02 pm

It's in relation to the gas line from my regulator to my cornie. It came from Norm pre-fitted with speedfit fittings. I had a leak in the system somewhere and found that the tubing wasn't fitted with any kind of insert. I've since put an insert in which did make the tubing a struggle to fit but it's now in and no sign of a leak.

dubboy

Post by dubboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm

if it the hard gas stuff norm usally sells should need one but if the tube at the jg speedfitting is bent at a sharp angle then it will leak so it either needs to go in a curve to the keg or straight and not at a tight angle.

adm

Post by adm » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

I don't use any inserts, but i do use the JG Speedfit fittings everywhere - mainly in 3/16" (so I can't really even see that an insert would be feasible) and have no problems with gas leakage. I did find that the place where I originally got leakage problems was at the corny posts, where the JG fitting screws onto it - easily sorted with a gentle nudge with a spanner and been good as gold ever since.

The pipe is use is hard walled though....not sure what plastic it is, but it's "standard beer/gas line" as far as I know.