Burco problem

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

Burco problem

Post by crookedeyeboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi

Ive got an old 9 gallon(ish) Burco boiler for my HLT.
Ive only just started and when i went to fill it Friday night ready to brew yesterday I found it had developed a leak right above the electrics inside!

The hole causing the leak is a small pitting hole insie the aluminium basin.

has anyone got any ideas on how I could seal it or is it a waste of time??

Thanks

Drafty

Re: Burco problem

Post by Drafty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:26 pm

You could look for some food-safe metal filling epoxy and fill the hole using that. I use an old aluminum burco as a HLT, and it had a few holes in the sides that were just enough to weep a little. I reckon epoxy is inert enough once it has cured, even if it's nasty stuff before it goes off.

That said, mine wasn't leaking over the electrics... you might be better off just buying a plastic boiler from hop & grape or Leyland. My 5 gallon boiler from Leyland works better than the old 5 gal Burco, and I've got the option of adding a second element to save some time on brew day.

Matt

crookedeyeboy

Re: Burco problem

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Yeah thanks for that, thats what I was thinking. Aftr putting the post up I went looking for a new boiler on the web and found a few bargains.
Will just have to wait for pay day!
The Burco isnt even mine it was borrowed, I think I will have to tell them it has had its best days.

Just watching Jimmy The Brewers 4 part video, very very helpful seeing as I am very new to this.