New boiler questions from a newbie

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
neilos83

New boiler questions from a newbie

Post by neilos83 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi guys.

I have been reading the forum for a few months now.

Got into brewing a few years back and stared doing full mash at the begining of the year and now im hooked!
I managed to get hold of an old Burco wash boiler which i have been using, however now it seems to be on its last legs, choosing when to work and causing me much distress!

I have been given a stailess beer keg, and an aluminium keg with the top cut off, and was thinking of using one as a boiler.
Is either of them better for the job?

I have bought some kettle elements and borrowed have some stainless valves and fittings from work.
My other concern was making a watertight seal around the element due to the curve of the barrel.

Can you offer me any advice?
Many thanks

NEILOS

escapizm

Re: New boiler questions from a newbie

Post by escapizm » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 pm

The curve doesnt really matter too much, if you buy some asda cheapo kettles you need to cut a 38mm hole and providing the barrel isnt too thick they come with all the seals already to suit about 3mm thick.

I use a birco as a HLT as it only holds about 28 litres, ive bought a 60 litre plastic bucket and fitted two kettle elements. Two running till it boils then switch one off, i alternate which one is use for the 90 min boil. I'd heard guys have them burn out then your goosed if youve only got one. [-X

Are you batch sparging or fly, i opted for batch and it works really well.

neilos83

Post by neilos83 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Cheers for the info.

I've been fly sparging using a rose from a watering can and a large funnel. It seems to have worked so far.

Do you think the stainless or aluminum barrel would be best for the boiler or would it not matter?

I'll post pics of the boiler as i progress, but it may take me a while - i'm just about to move house and the missus aint too keen on me brewing at the moment!

cheers
NEILOS

escapizm

Post by escapizm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 am

St st if only cos it's less likely to turn yellow/ brown over time.