Burco boiler - hop filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PaulStat

Burco boiler - hop filter

Post by PaulStat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 am

Currently I have a ball valve connected to some 15mm copper tube inside a brass tank connector which is attached to the burco. As a hop filter I am using some rolled up spatter guard, which used to work flawlessly, however in the last three brews it's clogged twice and left me with a tricky situation in transferring the wort to the FV.

So I want an alternative, I've seen a few of you use the H&G hop filter, but you do so with plastic boiler buckets where the tap/valve is a lot closer to the bottom of the boiler.

So I was thinking of having a setup something like this.

Inside of burco

Then I'd have more 15mm pipe connected to the other side of the elbow which goes straight down and then bends and curves around the inside of the boiler. Of course I'd have lots of small holes drilled in the pipe (what size drill bit?) and have it tapered off at the end. Would this work? Is 15mm pipe easy enough to bend?

chris_reboot

Re: Burco boiler - hop filter

Post by chris_reboot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:16 am

thats kind of what I have.

the 15mm pipe extends from the outside of the tank connector to join onto my ball valve and elbow, then runs through anbout an inch into the inside of the bucket.

to this, I've got a push fit elbow, a down section, then another elbow going to the flat pipe section that is the hop strainer.
the strainer was drilled with a 3mm bit (would have done 2mm but my bit had broken previously) 3mm works though. I then crimped the end flat with pliers. dead simple really. the push fit connector allows me to remove it for cleaning (even though it says it should be a permanent fit). I'm no plumber so bending pipe is beyond my tools and expertise.

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

Cool thanks :), I was kind of expecting more holes in the strainer :)

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 am

I can't for the life of me find those sort of elbows on www.bes.co.uk, they have lots of useful bits and bobs on that website, but the searching is really crap! Anyone able to help?

grmills

Post by grmills » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 am

Or use end-feed connectors. Plenty of overlap (12mm-ish) so they don't fall off. If you're worried that it's a bit loose, lightly crimp the end of the pipe to distort it slightly which introduces a bit more friction into the joint. Maybe cheaper than push-fit?

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:53 am

grmills wrote:Or use end-feed connectors. Plenty of overlap (12mm-ish) so they don't fall off. If you're worried that it's a bit loose, lightly crimp the end of the pipe to distort it slightly which introduces a bit more friction into the joint. Maybe cheaper than push-fit?
sounds like a plan, I've found those on B.E.S but the measurements for those types of fittings are imperial and not metric, what imperial fitting fits over 15mm pipe?

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 pm

all the components were from b+q (not the cheapest, but convenient at the time!)

Steve1262
Piss Artist
Location: Bridlington, East Yorkshire. 10 Miles From Wold Top Brewery

Post by Steve1262 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Those fittings are copper push fit and have been stocked at B&Q where I work, however our store being a small one in Bridlington have stopped selling them in favour of a bigger range of plastic push fit.
I'm not sure but you may find that our bigger "Warehouse" stores still stock them but don't hold me to that.

Steve
PaulStat wrote:I can't for the life of me find those sort of elbows on http://www.bes.co.uk, they have lots of useful bits and bobs on that website, but the searching is really crap! Anyone able to help?
Ginger Cat Home Brewery

My assistant brewer "Frank"

"Four wheels move the body. . . . Two wheels move the soul"

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Not really sure why I've made two threads on this, must of slipped my mind that I made this one. Anyway I shall treat this as the official one from now on.

Now one of the main problems I have is that the element for the burco is smack bang in the centre of the boiler, and I can't bend the copper without kinking it, sooo I was thinking of changing the design so that it has two filter prongs if you see what I mean. Basically I'll have a 15mm T connected to two elbows which connect to the filter parts. Here's the diagram ( not to scale you understand :=P )

Thoughts?

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 pm

What Model is your Burco? Not sure you need two filter arms. Take a look at this Blichmann's set up (the filter part is quite small and is covered by a screen. I want to make something similar for my Burco.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Steve1262 wrote:Those fittings are copper push fit and have been stocked at B&Q where I work, however our store being a small one in Bridlington have stopped selling them in favour of a bigger range of plastic push fit.
I'm not sure but you may find that our bigger "Warehouse" stores still stock them but don't hold me to that.

Steve
PaulStat wrote:I can't for the life of me find those sort of elbows on http://www.bes.co.uk, they have lots of useful bits and bobs on that website, but the searching is really crap! Anyone able to help?
they were from a warehouse, yes.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 pm

PaulStat wrote:Thoughts?
I'd look at pipe bending it round the perimeter of the base myself (if I was a plumber and had the gear!)

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 pm

chris_reboot wrote:
PaulStat wrote:Thoughts?
I'd look at pipe bending it round the perimeter of the base myself (if I was a plumber and had the gear!)
well yeah, so would I :=P

but alas I don't have such equipment
Last edited by PaulStat on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

HantsGaz wrote:What Model is your Burco? Not sure you need two filter arms. Take a look at this Blichmann's set up (the filter part is quite small and is covered by a screen. I want to make something similar for my Burco.
I have no idea what the model is, it's an old 27L wash boiler

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Aha - not sure if those have concealed or exposed elements. That was the reason for the question - around why you were putting two arms either side of the element?

**EDIT - Just read your other thread. I guess your Buco has an exposed element.