Barrel Query

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Big Al

Barrel Query

Post by Big Al » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:45 pm

When I pour a pint on my barrel I notice a lot of air in pip of the tap.
This happens when there is pressure in the barrel. My barrel has a float inside so dont know if this is somehow drawing air through it.

If I pour my pint really slowly their doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, oh and the more pressure there is in the barrel Ie i give the gas a little blast more bubbles appear. Any ideas on what is happening?

Big Al

Re: Barrel Query

Post by Big Al » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 am

Is this air trapped in the tap prior to filling with beer, or is this air being drawn through the float?
Any help would be appreciated. Or comments from other barrel users

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 am

It sounds like your float is not below the surface of your brew & is drawing air. What type of barrel/float do you have? My top tap king kegs have the Latstock float & I have not had a problem with these, you can see mine here & a diagram of one here.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Its an old Hambleton Bard Pressure Barrel i have with a bottom tap. The guy in my brewing shop recommended a float and fitted it. Is it worth me cutting a section of tubing off? Tempted to try that one and see what happens. In regards to the float I am not sure what make it was.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Big Al wrote: Its an old Hambleton Bard Pressure Barrel i have with a bottom tap. The guy in my brewing shop recommended a float and fitted it. Is it worth me cutting a section of tubing off?
I must say, this is the first time of a float being used on a bottom tap barrel, although I may stand to be corrected on this. I am, however certain that the budget barrels/king keg bottom tap barrels don't come with floats, nor do they need them.

Maybe you should contact the guy who sold you the float & tell him what is happening with your brew/barrel.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:03 pm

HH: I have a couple of HB bottom taps, and am retro fitting them with floats next brew so I don't have to tilt the kegs when they are running low. this should squeeze out the last pints with minimal effort. Untested so far, but the taps are the std Waddingtons so will take the connections fine.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:49 pm

It looks like I do stand corrected! Could you keep us posted on how this works out, it may help Big Al sort his problem out.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:04 pm

chris_reboot wrote:HH: I have a couple of HB bottom taps, and am retro fitting them with floats next brew so I don't have to tilt the kegs when they are running low. this should squeeze out the last pints with minimal effort. Untested so far, but the taps are the std Waddingtons so will take the connections fine.
I would be interested to see how this works :? :?

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote: I must say, this is the first time of a float being used on a bottom tap barrel, although I may stand to be corrected on this.
Nah, did this in the early 80's with a couple of beerspheres. Used the normal latstock float system which were available in those days.

flything

Post by flything » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 pm

To be honest I don't know why they make 2 different kegs, given that the beer is pushed out under pressure the tap could be pretty much anywhere.

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 am

If it is any help I have an HB top tap which was fitted with a faulty float which meant it was floating too high on top of the beer and all I could draw off was gas. The float in question was a cylinder with four holes in the top and a ball at the other end, I had to pop the ball out which made the float sink to the bottom so I could draw off the beer and had no problem with pouring a pint proving that the float was at fault. This I hasten to add this was a temporary measure until I could purchase a Latstock Float system and fit it, so far I have had no further problems and always get every last drop of beer from the barrel. I did contact HB about this problem but all they offered me was a replacement float of the same design.
I would recomend the Latstock if you prefer to use a float.
http://www.quaysidehomebrew.co.uk/latst ... -190-p.asp

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 pm

The float does allow beer to be drawn from even the deepest parts of the barrel once the beer as dropped below the tap level.
I might just fill it up with water to the top put some gas in it and try it again, and also double check on how the float is bobbing about in there.

Seeing as I have finished my barrel off might test this out this weekend and see how it goes. But I suppose an option might be just to purchas another float.

Cheers for all the feedback guys

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:04 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hambleton-Bard-Be ... dZViewItem

If it helps this is the float that I do have in my barrel.

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Al

That's the very one I replaced with the Latstock as it was giving me grief, they float to high.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:06 pm

I thought it sounded similar...
I am due in my Local Brewing Shop next weekend, will see what other floats he stocks.

Might see if I can fix anything whilst testing with water.