Weighing Grain

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
pompeypaul25

Weighing Grain

Post by pompeypaul25 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi all, i am fed up with weighing out my grain in 400g batches on a kitchen scale. I buy in a 25kg sack but only do a 5 gallon batch at time so grain bill is usually less than 5kg, i would like to zero the scale with the bucket on it and add the grain from the sack, anyone any experience of using the following ?

Digital Scales

I thought this might be more accurate than a 'fishing' or 'luggage' scale that go 40kg ? Any comments appreciated.

I wont be needing it for weighing my hops though as i use old fashioned balance scales for that, the lowest counter weight i have is 1oz but a 50 pence piece weighs 0.25 oz and 2 gives me 0.5 oz so my hop weighing is usually spot on ..

Parva

Re: Weighing Grain

Post by Parva » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Yep, they will be fine as will most cheap digital scales that you can buy at the likes of Argos, Asda etc. I simply put my grain bucket on the scales then turn them on, this means they are zeroed with the bucket in place then just fill with grain anywhere upto the 5Kg mark. Similarly, if I want 4.5Kg M.O. then I weigh that out then turn scales off, back on and again the scales are at zero and I can add say 300gms of crystal or whatever. Note however that you mustn't go over 5Kg in total (well certainly not with my scales) even using this method as they are only designed to hold 5Kg and adding much more than that (either in one go or in steps as above) eventually gives me an error then I've lost where I was at with the weights.

pompeypaul25

Post by pompeypaul25 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the advice. Just had a look at the ebay item again (additional photo) and it hardly seems big enough to support a fermentation bucket to give an accurate weight? I think i would need one with a wider base to support the bucket but not a bathroom scale ! Which one do you use ?

Parva

Post by Parva » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 am

pompeypaul25 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Just had a look at the ebay item again (additional photo) and it hardly seems big enough to support a fermentation bucket to give an accurate weight? I think i would need one with a wider base to support the bucket but not a bathroom scale ! Which one do you use ?
Use a smaller bucket then! :) I just use your common or garden bucket, as long as the base of the weighing platform is above the rest of the scales itself then it shouldn't be a problem. :)

And to sorta agree with Chris, I use a 2l plastic bowl to scoop my grains and it invariably gives me 1Kg per level scoop. :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:44 am

I'll have to get myself a 2L jug, that sounds a lot easier :)

softlad

Post by softlad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:57 am

Chris-x1 wrote:I find a 2L kitchen jug holds exactly 1kg of grain with little variability. Try it for yourself, it saves time weighing out the base malt.
After a lot of messing about adding up part kgs and forgetting the weight I discovered this too. I was looking to buy some larger scales but decided against it, using the jug as a measure instead.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

you can't beat some big jugs, very useful! :whistle:

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Sent our lass on a Jug mission today, none of the cheap shops had a 2 litre plastic jug!! Shocking!

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:I find a 2L kitchen jug holds exactly 1kg of grain with little variability. Try it for yourself, it saves time weighing out the base malt.
Used the same method myself for a number of years, no problems with it whatsoever.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

adm

Post by adm » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:16 pm

softlad wrote:
After a lot of messing about adding up part kgs and forgetting the weight I discovered this too. I was looking to buy some larger scales but decided against it, using the jug as a measure instead.
Ditto! Almost exactly 1Kg when filled level to the top....

pompeypaul25

Post by pompeypaul25 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps....jug it is then :)

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:18 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electronic-Digita ... 286.c0.m14

Bought this item with no regrets. Takes a 9v battery too so should last for absolutely ages.

pompeypaul25

Post by pompeypaul25 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm

pdtnc wrote:Sent our lass on a Jug mission today, none of the cheap shops had a 2 litre plastic jug!! Shocking!
Been on my own Jug mission today. Poundland have a 2 litre jug with a 1 litre jug attatched as a package for .... a pound.
Wilkinsons have the 2 lite jug for 89p.