My hop filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PaulStat

My hop filter

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 am

So I'm going to make my own H&G style hop filter, the only thing left to do is try and clean the pipe a bit more of the render material that it was covered in, and to drill some 3mm holes into it. So should I be drilling holes all the way around, or just on the underside? Oh also it will unfortunately rest on top of the elements, I assume this will be ok?

Thanks,
Paul

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: My hop filter

Post by borischarlton » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 am

No, copper on top of the elements is not on at all, can you not bend it so that it misses? Or put some clips in to hold it away?

Rob

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:08 am

i drilled 3mm holes in two close rows on the underside only and it works fine.
This should reduce the leftover amount in the bottom as the water level is lower than if you drill holes all the way round.

I'd avoid the elements too. How come there's no room?
got a pic?

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

I'm sure this is essentially what happens when I put the IC in at the end of the boil, so I don't see why not?

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am

chris_reboot wrote:i drilled 3mm holes in two close rows on the underside only and it works fine.
This should reduce the leftover amount in the bottom as the water level is lower than if you drill holes all the way round.

I'd avoid the elements too. How come there's no room?
got a pic?
The elements in the burco are dead centre, unlike yours which are off to the sides

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:16 am

ah I see.

If its all metal anyway, then I can't see it making a difference then in that case (unless anyone else can think of a reason?)
My initial thinking was to avoid leftovers.

As you say the IC goes in...

PaulStat

Post by PaulStat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am

Ideally I would like to curve it around the elements along the bottom of the burco but I have no way of bending 15mm pipes without putting kinks in them, this is what happened when I tried first off all last night.

Plus as you say if I could do that it would reduce my dead space which is currently quite hefty :(

flything

Post by flything » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:10 pm

just use elbows to redirect the tube

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Or 10mm tubing which bends easier . . . or another alternative is This hop filter by Brewzone

aus069

Post by aus069 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am

PaulStat wrote:Ideally I would like to curve it around the elements along the bottom of the burco but I have no way of bending 15mm pipes without putting kinks in them, this is what happened when I tried first off all last night.

Plus as you say if I could do that it would reduce my dead space which is currently quite hefty :(

As it is necessary to close one end off you could try filling the tube with sand and then bending it , this way you won't get any kinks .

andyb2

Post by andyb2 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Like flything says, use elbows.

I made a hop filter like this:

and it fits in the burco like this: