Cheap conical fermenter?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
salnajjar

Cheap conical fermenter?

Post by salnajjar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:15 pm

I was looking on eBay for some 30 litre fermenting buckets when I came across this Metal 30 Litre Leg Drinker for poultry.

Now, the first thought I had when I saw it was "this looks almost like a dirt cheap conical fermenter". Does anyone have an opininion? The do a plastic version as well in case there's a risk of the metal reacting with the brew...

CJBrew

Re: Cheap conical fermenter?

Post by CJBrew » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 pm

"AND WATER FALLS INTO THE PAN AT THE BOTTOM "

might cause you problems... :lol:

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Drunk chickens :shock:

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:22 pm

I think it's called a "marinade" =P~

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

salnajjar wrote:I was looking on eBay for some 30 litre fermenting buckets when I came across this Metal 30 Litre Leg Drinker for poultry.

Now, the first thought I had when I saw it was "this looks almost like a dirt cheap conical fermenter". Does anyone have an opininion? The do a plastic version as well in case there's a risk of the metal reacting with the brew...
I think you would need to find out what type of metal it is, what it looks like inside and if there is a fitting for blocking up the bottom hole which feeds the water tray, certainly worth investigating i would have thought.

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:31 pm

With delboy on that. Most importantly, what sort of metal is it. Apart from that, for 25 quid you could just take a chance.

If you need something welded onto the bottom (a tap?) that possibly wouldn't be too difficult for someone who knew what they were doing.

salnajjar

Post by salnajjar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:34 pm

It appears to be galvanized. I found a better quality picture here of what looks to be the same item. I know it would perhaps need some welding or similar to connect up to the neck area, but, I'm still interested by it.

What are the issues with not having a steep enough incline in the neck part?

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:17 pm

It's galvanised.
Don't weld to anything galvanised.

spiderpig

Post by spiderpig » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:09 am

just had a look on there ebay website they do one in plastic but it seems to have ridges all the way up it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-LITRE-PLASTIC- ... .m14.l1262 :?