Food barrel suitable for making boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Weejock

Food barrel suitable for making boiler

Post by Weejock » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:30 am

Hi guys.

Have been inspired by other home-made boilers on this forum, wanted to know if these food barrels on eBay would be suitable;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-STRONG-55LTR- ... 286.c0.m14

I thought the flat sides would make it easier for fitting heating elements, taps etc.

They may be a bit big.

Swiller

Re: Food barrel suitable for making boiler

Post by Swiller » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 am

Have a look at the comments here about square barrels.
viewtopic.php?p=273306#p273306

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Any suggestions on a barrel / FV I could convert into a 10 gallon boiler?

salnajjar

Post by salnajjar » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 am

Weejock wrote:Hi guys.

Have been inspired by other home-made boilers on this forum, wanted to know if these food barrels on eBay would be suitable;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-STRONG-55LTR- ... 286.c0.m14

I thought the flat sides would make it easier for fitting heating elements, taps etc.

They may be a bit big.
I purchased two of these myself a few weeks back and have turned one into a boiler (will post pictures soon). I've done a test boil with water for 90 minutes with no problem, and, the square sides did make it easy to fit things to. The do however have rounded bottoms so you will still need to mount your exit hole up the side a little and use a syphon effect to drain it.

The biggest problem I've had with these is getting rid of the damn garlic smell/taste, however, rinsing them off and drying them thoroughly, then with a dry sponge, gently scrubbing soda crystals all around them on the inside and leaving for an hour seems to have done the trick.

One other advantage of the square sides has been wrapping insulation around them, and, as they have a plastic stopper in the top, as well as the screw down lid, it's really easy to make a nice lauter strainer simply by drilling small holes in it.

Final comment, that seller is really good, I was worried when I hadn't received them after about 4 days, I left the guy an email, he called me about an hour later and told me exactly where they were and when they would be with me.

Hope this helps,

Seri

Weejock

Post by Weejock » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks salnajjar, I was thinking that if the flat sides were ever a problem strengh wise I could make a re-inforcing brace, maybe a square made out old Dexion lengths and slid down the outside of the barrel.