Newbie Help!!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

Newbie Help!!!

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi All

I finished work tonight with the sole intention of building my own mash tun and boiler.
This has almost gone to plan after a very fruitful journey to B&Q!
However as you can see in the picture attachment Ive bought the 'wrong' cheap kettle as the power attachment is all wrong. Is this useable or not??

Also has anyone got any good ideas on cutting the slots into the copper grain sieve in the mash tun. I have no access to a bench clamp or similar and am really struggling to get the slots finished...

Thanks
Attachments
Kettle Disaster.jpg
Kettle Disaster.jpg (223.63 KiB) Viewed 525 times

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Newbie Help!!!

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm

I'm not sure if the element base is usable. The element itself may be OK as a spare though. You really do need something to clamp the piping in whilst you're working on it. I use a Black and Decker Workmate.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Thats what i thought. Kept the element as a spare although AMS water treatemtn will keep the scale down whilst boiling.
Will have to wait till Monday to use the bench clamp at work :-( Wanted to get it done this weekend.

JackA

Post by JackA » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:10 pm

I think this is a pretty standard element... wont a kettle lead just fit on the end? Maybe I've ahd a few too many...

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Couldnt get the kettle lead on for some reason.

Well I have abandoned ship, I am off out to buy a Bruheat boiler as Im not sure I trust my electrics skills at the mo!