How to clean Brupaks electric boiler?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Gray

How to clean Brupaks electric boiler?

Post by Gray » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:05 am

My last brew was nearly a bit of a disaster due to my Brupaks electric boiler constantly cutting out during the boiler. From what Ive read on here about similar problems it seems that this is probably due to the element needing cleaning. Ive also read various people talking about cleaning elements using citric acid but is that still the case with this seen as the element is some sort of plate at the bottom rather than the more usual type?

I have tried the citric acid option over the weekend and it didnt seem to work very well at all so any advise would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
BRUPAKS BOILER.jpg
BRUPAKS BOILER.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 647 times

fivetide

Re: How to clean Brupaks electric boiler?

Post by fivetide » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:44 pm

On my plate type one I used to cover with a mound of bicarb then chuck on Jiff lemon. :)

That's not going by the book though! But acid (nitric, phosphoric..) based cleaning is the way forward, not bleach.

Have you tried soaking in a solution of Oust or similar? That's pretty good. Soak for a couple of hours then blast with a house and rinse a lot.

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks very much, I'll try some Oust

fivetide

Post by fivetide » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 am

All these things are pretty evil and require a lot of rinsing. I know I said it before, but someone once advised - could have been Chris, can't recall - about homebrew cleaning: "Rinse thoroughly until you're sure it's done, then rinse again."

Fuse

Post by Fuse » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 am

Ive always just chucked in some VWP and filled it up and left it a few hours. But its not exactly the best for the boiler as if left too long can degrade the plastic coating on the element, as ive done when i left some on too long (i.e. went away for the w/e and forgot about it). I just give the element a little scrub with a non scratch scowering pad and never had any problems in the year and half ive been using mine.