10 gallon boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
adeybambam

10 gallon boiler

Post by adeybambam » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm thinking of making a 10 gallon boiler similar to the Hop and Grape ones. I have posted elsewhere about this and whether it may be cost effective just buying one from H&G but it all depends on how much the container will cost. Has anyone any suggestions for a suitable barrel / FV that could be converted?

CJBrew

Re: 10 gallon boiler

Post by CJBrew » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi,

I recently contacted both Hop and Grape and Leyland on this issue, basically enquiring what the 10g buckets they have are like.

H&G wouldn't sell me the heavy duty plastic 10g pails they make into boilers, because (I imagine) it's added value for them, and they said they are hard to come by.
Leyland told me they can't get the Heavy Duty ones any more, and wouldn't recommend the other 10g pails they sell for making into a boiler.

My opinion is now that unless you know it's a really good, solid, heatproof plastic, it's not a good material to use to make your boiler out of.
I am going to get a stainless steel vessel instead. I'm also thinking it might as well be an insulated pot, in order to conserve power, and possibly reduce the risk of burns to myself if I touch it while it's boiling.

Chris