45 Litre Mash Tun Advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mikew
Steady Drinker

45 Litre Mash Tun Advice

Post by mikew » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi guys,

I am just about to start making my AG kit. I've bought myself a 45 Litre (48 Quart) Coleman cooler. which has arrived today :D . Anyway, I just have a question, the cooler actually already has a drain fitted on it. Now I have only had a quick look, but am wondering if I can do something with this drain or something if I can remove the actual drain part, to get the standard 15mm copper manifold through. Anyway, if anybody has any advice, or has used one of these or something similar, I would appreciate a bit of advice on what others have tried, and tested before I start altering my nice new box.

If you guys are not fed up with photos of home made kit I will post photos, and details, of my manufacture as it progresses, I've got a full set to make Kettle, HLT, Mash Tun and IC so should keep me busy for a week or two.

Anyways any advice would be much appreciated.

Scooby

Re: 45 Litre Mash Tun Advice

Post by Scooby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 pm

This may be of use Coleman tun I'm sure some on the forum have used these and may chip in but as these are popular in the States a quick Google should result in many more ideas :wink:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 pm

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index. ... a_mash_tun

Here is another similar look at converting the cooler.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 pm

I posted 2 threads on BIY forum about mine.
This one and this one(second shows adapted ball valve tap I made after the original tap was found to leak).

I took out the original white outlet, left the rubber washer in, and put a tank connector and ball valve on.
ask away if you need more advice.

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm

chris,

I like you design, with the tank connector, I have all the necessary bits to make that. So I think I'll go with that one When you added your tank connector, you say you left the rubber washer in, I take it that the original drain plug came out pretty easy then?

Also what size did you make that manifold?

Thanks chris.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 pm

the drain plug DID NOT want to come out easily! be aware! mine kept spinning around, but some careful hacking with a stanley eventually sorted it out.
I intended to carefully get it out so it could maybe be used as a coolbox when not mashing. hey-ho.

I left the rubber inner washer in which you can just make out in the first pic below. the hollowed out tank connector fits inside that, and some 15mm copper pipe goes all the way through.

second pic shows pipe exiting, and ball valve on outside.
hope that helps.

sorry about pic quality, lighting in the loft where its stored is not ideal!
manifold was as big as the floor of the tun on the inside allowing for the sloping side part where it meets the bottom (if that makes sense)
dunno measurement off-hand, just did it by eye really.

be advised, it's big for a tun, ideally suited for 10G brews I guess, but I've done 5G's in it so far and its been ok.
I expect it to perform best vis-a-vis temp retention with a bigger mash in it.
next brew will tell...doing a 10G black sheep best next when my malt arrives.

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for the pictures chris

The quality is fine, I can see the point, careful cutting with as stanley it is then.

I bought it as I intended to do 10 gallon brews, its good to know it works well enough for 5 as well though.

You'll have to let me know how that 10 gallon brew of black sheep goes.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 pm

I may do some brewday pics if I remember and I'm not too flustered!

The 10G I know should work as there's vid's on youtube with US brewers using them, yet to actually try it out though!
Off to the shed now for a crafty pint, so I can vouch that the 5G brewlength works too despite the extra headspace.

alabaster cheeks

Post by alabaster cheeks » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm

yea a great mash tun
one thing not mentioned is the lid is hollow and can be filled with expanding foam
:D

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

this is true, but I've had a big blanket draped over the top to help insulate as I couldn't be arsed drilling and filling it, and that's worked out ok.
big grain bills helps too. no 2% brews here, so far everything has been 6% ish so the extra grain helps keep the heat in.

aus069

Post by aus069 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

chris_reboot wrote:this is true, but I've had a big blanket draped over the top to help insulate as I couldn't be arsed drilling and filling it, and that's worked out ok.
big grain bills helps too. no 2% brews here, so far everything has been 6% ish so the extra grain helps keep the heat in.
Yeah I use to wrap my mash tun in towels one round either side and one on top and I would lose a degree or two over the hour until just last week I cut up some styrofoam to fit and wrapped it in gaffer tape. I used it for the first time last week and lost half a degree in an hour and no towels or blankets to keep it warm . It worked a treat .

aus069

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I've got some spare polystyrene insulation board, have done some calculations and I have enough to make a quick box to fit the tun in, I hope this will provide plenty of insulation, and will just be a bit nicer than blankets, and since its spare it would be a good use for it.

I might fill the lid with foam, as well if I find it needs it.

Anyway, i'm gonna start my mammoth kit build tomorrow, have got a Mash tun, boiler, HLT, and IC, to make as soon as I can, as well as put a fermentation cupboard in the shed, I need to get brewing ready for christmas. Busy boy for a few weeks I think. but all in a good cause... :D

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 am

happy days!

good luck mike

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Well,

I've got my mash tun, nearly built. Just one last question, is it best to solder, the manifold together, I've made the manifold along the same line as the one described in Jims, DIY all grain brewery post, (a rectangle with a cross piece between the centres of the two long sides. The take off to the tap is then in the centre of the top cross piece, which has a small length of tube, which I will attach some flexible hose to: connecting the manifold to the tap (similiar to chris's design). I intend to solder the manifold up, and then the flexible pipe will allow me to remove this for cleaning.

So, in your experiences, will I get problems if I solder up the rectangular manifold, or should I just leave it un-soldered. Thanks for the advice