King Keg Questions

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dave-o

King Keg Questions

Post by dave-o » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 am

I have a bottom tap King Keg, like this:

The keg works and holds pressure, but the CO2 valve is broken.

First question is regarding natural carbonation:

-When initially racking to the keg, obviously priming sugar is added. Half way down the barrell, when it runs out of pressure (and head), is it as simple as adding some more priming solution and leaving it for a week or two? Are there sterility issues with opening a keg?

Second question re sorting out the CO2 system:

-Are these three items all i would need to get my king keg working for a CO2 setup:

4-Inch King Keg lid fitted with 8gr CO2 injector

Bulb holder

And bulbs?

Or is anything else required? Another valve?

Horden Hillbilly

Re: King Keg Questions

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:35 am

dave-o wrote:I have a bottom tap King Keg, like this. The keg works and holds pressure, but the CO2 valve is broken.
If you just require a valve, you can get them from here. You say your valve is broke, may I ask what exacly what is wrong with it? It is virtually unheard of for one of those valves to break. If the Co2 is escaping from it, all that it may need is the rubber washers replacing.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Honestly i don't know.

The person i bought it off told me it was broken.

I didn't want to go ordering valves/washers, bulbs and stuff (and paying postage) if it turns out i then have to buy a new lid and pay postage again.

Is there a way to test this without buying anything?

And any input re the natural carbonation question?

Thanks.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:08 pm

I would get a new set of rubbers for the valve, as mentioned, the valve itself is just a one piece metal body.
It's the rubbers that can perish or wear out.

If its second hand, I'd replace them as matter of course (see ebay or brewmart in sheffield- they sell them).
Strip it right down, re-seat the valve on new rubber washers etc, and get either a) the small bulbs pictured if the valve has a small pin in the middle, or b) a Hambleton Bard Super 30 gas cylinder if no pin present. The latter option is preferable as it'll be more cost effective in the long run, and you can control how much gas goes in.

Yes, top up with Co2, dont open the keg and add more sugar.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:16 pm

chris_reboot wrote: Yes, top up with Co2, dont open the keg and add more sugar.

This is what i'd do if i had a working CO2 system. But seeing as PBs are sold without CO2 capabilities, it must be possible to use a PB without CO2. What do these people do when the pressure runs out? Drink flat beer or open/reprime?

Thanks for your tip - i'll see what i can find on ebay.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 pm

the budget kegs (not KK's but the type wilkos sell) for economy come without a lid with a valve.
they are built to a price point quite simply. you'll notice in the packets above where these are sold in the shops, there is another type of lid *with* a valve that you can buy seperately that takes bulbs. see where this is going..?? ;)

basically, you always need a lid with some kind of valve to allow you to add more co2 as and when it stops dispensing from under its own fermented power, whether its a KK or budget keg. Taking the lid off, or allowing air to glug in through the tap is not an option.

I would see if/where you can get the HB s-30 cannisters in your area first. If you have a LBHS that does them, I'd go for that option, otherwise the smaller bulbs are for you, and are easier to come by, and can be mail-ordered, whereas most people dont post S-30's. check the valve type as I mentioned above to see if its got the middle pin inside the valve, if it does, and you want to use s30's anyway, pull the pin out, or buy the other valve type (and vice-versa)

HTH

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:45 am

Well it appears to be an S30 valve, as it doesn't have a pin. It's full of gunk though, so i think i'm just going to go with the original plan and get a new lid. For a few quid difference in price I don't want to run the risk of messing up the valve change, or something not working and me having to get a new lid and pay for postage again.

So back to the original question;
Is this all i would need to have a fully working 8gr system:

-New lid with 8gr valve
-Bulb holder
-Bulbs

I guess the main thing i am asking; does the bulb holder have an internal screw thread, or do i need another sort of interface too?

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm

think the holder will screw straight on from what I know (I use S-30's so I could be wrong).
as long as the valve has the pin to puncture the small bulb, you're in business.

new caps including valves are about a tenner, so you're not wasting that much money, and you get a new lid so there's no wear issues there too.

check the valve is tight on the new lid, get 2 spanners and nip it up if not to get a good seal. they say they don't come ready to use :roll:

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for that last tip, i wouldn't have thought of that.

I'm too trusting and never read instructions!

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:04 pm

I fell foul of that first time! :oops: