Temperature control using TC-10 and heat mats

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ihatejacknjills

Temperature control using TC-10 and heat mats

Post by ihatejacknjills » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:40 pm

I am thinking of using a TC-10 temperature controller, or an ATC-800+ and 2 heatmats to control the temperature of a fridge so that I can ferment beer in it. I have a fridge freezer in my garage, but the fridge compartment it not exactly massive so I can't put a tube heater in there underneath my fermentation bucket. At the moment I will not need to switch the fridge on as the temperature is always colder than I needs it to be in my garage.

My main question is whether sticking 2 heatmats to the inside sides of the fridge will produce enough heat. I am thinking of using these heatmats: http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=21.

Also, where should I put the probe from the temperature controller? Is it best to hang it in the brew or is it ok to tape it to the side of the fermentation bucket.

Finally, is it better to get a TC-10 or a ATC-800+ temperature controller?

Incase it is helpful to know, the temperature inside my unheated fridge varies between 11 and 19 degrees C, and I am hoping to brew ale.

Thanks,

Steve

Scooby

Re: Temperature control using TC-10 and heat mats

Post by Scooby » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

I think the heat mats work best by conduction rather then radiation and it would probably be better to wrap the mats round your fv. They are quite robust and will stand the sort of curvature of a fv but I wouldn't recommend constant bending.

Have you thought of doing that then insulating the fv with a camping mat or similar? I feel it would be better, then put the whole lot in your fridge if you want.

If you go that route then the probe needs to be in the fermenter.

I favour the TC10 over the ATC800 even the new version, there has been lot of discussion recently so do a search to help you decide.

I use one 20w heat mat on my fv in a garage together with a TC10, the fv is insulated with Armaflex, I may add another one if I find it struggles in colder spells but if you start with two I'm sure it will handle even the coldest of conditions.

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I use a TC-10 and a 20W mat in my fridge.

The mat is one of those rigid ones, and it's blu-tacked to the side of the fridge. It has been used since February this year and has worked okay, although I suppose it hasn't had to really work hard yet. So far, so good, but I'm ready to modify the arrangement if the coming winter demands it!

Edit: I use the wire handle of the FV to hold the probe against the FV. It shoots over the set range and displays HHA for the first couple of hours until the temperature drops.
Last edited by Jerry Cornelius on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick_huggins

Post by rick_huggins » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 pm

I use a Thorn Electrim heat pad (rigid) in my chest freezer same as Jerry and it works fine for me.

I have raised it off the floor by a simple wooden plynth incase I have a spillage or short from condensation

ihatejacknjills

Post by ihatejacknjills » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:25 am

If I am going to put the sensor inside the beer, will I need to drill a hole in the lid of my fermenter and put a rubber bung in it, with the sensor going through the rubber bung? At the moment I am not planning on using an air lock - I was just going to leave the lid unclipped to let the CO2 out. Could I just hang the sensor in through the gap in the lid?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 am

If your aim is to maintain the temp in the fridge using the heat Pads on the sides as your original question, then the probe can be left in free air but a better way that will stop rapid fluctuation is to immerse the probe in water contained in a small vessel.