PTFE tape INSIDE boiler?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
kevthebootboy

PTFE tape INSIDE boiler?

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Aup lad,

is it safe to use PTFE tape inside a boiler? s/s boiler on a propane burner or will here be off flavours/toxins leaking into the wort?

i ask because ive just solved and deadspace/syphon effect problem. and it involves putting PTFE tape round the threats where i bolt on my hop filter,

thanks fellas, kev

pduk
Steady Drinker

Re: PTFE tape INSIDE boiler?

Post by pduk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:56 pm

I did look at this myself as a quick and dirty way to make my hop strainer fit in an emergency, and I concluded it was OK as the acceptable heat for PTFE goes well over 100C according to the Internet (it must be true!). I've since drunk that beer and it tasted fine, the tape was intact and I am still alive. Hope this helps. :)

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm

pduk wrote:I did look at this myself as a quick and dirty way to make my hop strainer fit in an emergency, and I concluded it was OK as the acceptable heat for PTFE goes well over 100C according to the Internet (it must be true!). I've since drunk that beer and it tasted fine, the tape was intact and I am still alive. Hope this helps. :)

yeah cheers duck, thats put my mind at ease 8)

does anyone else find it ok :?:

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Cheers for that Chris, i was thinking at the time id replace the tape each time i brewed, it only takes a few seconds to wrap it on and PTFE tapes dirt cheap,

chuffed with that, to make up for the dead space in the boiler i was boiling less vigarously and ending up with slightly less gravity then hoped,or getting the gravity but falling short on the volume.

so fingers crossed, problem solved :mrgreen:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 pm

I use PTFE tape in my boiler and replace it every 2-3 brews when I give the whole job a good clean :wink:

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Scooby wrote:I use PTFE tape in my boiler and replace it every 2-3 brews when I give the whole job a good clean :wink:
nice one, cheers Scooby. :mrgreen:

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:47 am

Chris-x1 wrote:PTFE is inert and food safe, it will be fine.
I was going to post a new topic when I saw that this probably answers my question, but thought I'd ask anyway :D

I have managed to botch 2 FVs when attempting to fit taps (one by putting the tap too close to the bottom :oops: ), so will need to use some ptfe tape to make a good seal.

I've just doubled capacity from 5 - 10 gallons per brewday and discovered that my trusty old cool box isn't up to it, so one of the FVs will instead make a new mash tun (don't need the tap as it happens but need to seal the hole up with something).

Am I safe to assume that PTFE tape is inert to whatever chemicals are in the mash tun and fermenter?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Yes. Teflon is a trademark for PTFE and we have been cooking in Teflon coated pans for years, even eating the little bits that peel off :lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:40 pm

If any of you die of non stick poisoning 30 years from now please feel free to contact me :lol:

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:34 pm

That all sounds good enough for me.
Scooby wrote:If any of you die of non stick poisoning 30 years from now please feel free to contact me :lol:
You'll need an Ouija board :D

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Just though, if you use a ball valve chances are it has Teflon seals