3D, 2D or Barley Crusher

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Digby Swift

3D, 2D or Barley Crusher

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm

I know this question has been asked many times but I cannot find many people talking about the crankandstein 3D. I have spoken to Barley Crusher and I can get a 15lb hopper version delivered for about £126.

A crankandstein with the ready made hopper and handle delivered etc. would be:

2d £156
3d £192

All prices are without taking into consideration of any vat or other charges upon arriving in the country.

What are peoples opinions. Is the Crankandstein worth the bit extra and is the 3d worth getting? It's a fair bit more. The guy emailed me to say this about the 3d

"The 3-roller gives a more gradual crush than the 2-roller. The first gap softens the inside of the grain so the second gap can more easily open the husk and separate it from the starch without tearing up the husk as much.. This way, the crush can sparge more efficiently. Also the grain goes through the mill faster and more reliably."

Does this sound right to you guys: A more gradual crush but it goes through faster?

I'm leaning towards the 2d at the moment after reading some of peoples thoughts on here.

adm

Re: 3D, 2D or Barley Crusher

Post by adm » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:10 pm

No idea here....but a question for you....

Why would you spend £125 - £200 on a crusher, when the difference per sack of malt between crushed and uncrushed is negligible. It would take many, many sacks of grain to make up the cost.

Of course, if you can get uncrushed malt much cheaper, or it's just a "labour of love" thing, then I completely understand.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

is it the technical thing of it's a better flavour instead? doesn't freshly crushed make for better beer, like coffee beans? (not in beer, in coffee I meant - unless that takes your fancy..)

my local micro brewery uses crushed.

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:26 pm

The only real advantage is whole grains store better than crushed, although i doubt its much of an issue since most of us wouldn't have crushed grain laying about for years on end.

I still enjoy crushing my own grain but if i had to do it again im not sure i would fork out for a mill (i have a barley crusher).

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

adm wrote:No idea here....but a question for you....

Why would you spend £125 - £200 on a crusher, when the difference per sack of malt between crushed and uncrushed is negligible. It would take many, many sacks of grain to make up the cost.

Of course, if you can get uncrushed malt much cheaper, or it's just a "labour of love" thing, then I completely understand.
It's not a cost thing because as you say there is no point unless you somehow have an excellent price on whole malt supply compared to crushed. I am very interested in making historical beers which at the moment involves having to home roast a lot of grains, which for some reason cannot be done with crushed grain. Maybe it kills the enzymes with crushed grain or something. I also want to buy sacks of malt (save on postage) which I may not get through quick enough and this would lessen any quality issues, if I would even have any.

adm

Post by adm » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:21 pm

:D

That'll be "labour of love" then.....

I quite fancy some home roasting of malts, but I'm not sure I want ot go to the expense of buying a crusher though. I might have a go and just try using my electric coffee grinder instead.

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 pm

yes :D

I am also a sucker for a new toy

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Digby Swift wrote:I am also a sucker for a new toy
Aha! The truth at last. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We all like to buy new toys... :D

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:22 pm

A three roller mill is superior to a two roller one assuming it is set up properly

You can get the same effect by passing the grain through a two roller mill twice . . . first with a slightly too big gap secondly with the correct gap. . . . you can also improve the crush of a two roller mill py misting the uncrushed grain with cold water before milling.

I have a barley crusher and am more than happy with it . . . I bought it for the same reason . . . I want to home roast grain for the Durden park recipes and you can only do that effectively with whole grain.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Talking of new toys noticed this the other day Click

Doing a batch with that would be a labour of love :lol:

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Is it shiny brewing Nrop? :lol: