Custom brass nipples/thread runners 1/2" BSP

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Custom brass nipples/thread runners 1/2" BSP

Post by Waffty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi,

Having struggled to get water tight seals on both my Nordic stock pot & bain marie, I got a friend of a friend to knock me up a 55mm long, custom brass 1/2" BSP thread runner/nipple, which had 25mm of thread one end, followed by a 5mm unthreaded gap, followed by another 25mm of thread at the other end.

With hindsight, I should have got him to leave a slightly bigger gap i.e 6mm to 8mm.

I used these measurement, as my idea was to keep this as perminant fixing, allowing me to add/remove the ball valve (likewise with the internal hop strainer). As such, it needed to be long enough to accomadate two locking nuts. I planned to use silicon O rings, as I've used these to good effect on my thermometer on my existing boiler.

Then on one end, it was 'rebated' to take a standard 15mm olive, for use on a compression joint. The whole thing had an internal diameter of 15mm.

Since there was still a chance of liquid ingress into the inner thread, I'd already planned to solder the inner lock nut in place. This worked better than I expected, as I got an excellent flow of solder, right the way through the joint.

The length gives a full thread into my ball valve + leaves enough 'slack' for the two lock nuts & associated O rings.

On final fitting, I decided to only use one O ring on the inside, as using one on the inside & outside, gave a little too much 'flex' when operating the ball valve. So instead of the outside O ring, I used a fibre washer, I then used a second fibre washer between the outside lock nut & ball valve, as this not only protected against leaks but also made it easier to remove the ball valve.

Since the change to the outside fibre washer, there is minimum flexing of the joint & not matter how hard I twist, pull, flex, turn the joint, it remains water tight, even with a 50L 'payload' in it =D>

As this was custom made, I should be able to get any length/gap etc combination made up. This item wasn't that cheap, as the bloke making it, had to buy in the materials, die & 15mm drill bit but since he now has them, he's advised that any requests will be significantly cheaper.

So I'll be ordering again (with a larger 'gap' area), in the non too distant future, if anyone else is interested?

Happy brewing
Darren
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Custom brass nipples/thread runners 1/2" BSP

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Darren, I don't want to pi*s on your parade, but.....................that looked very familiar. I checked my box of fittings and appear to have a couple (with your soldered nut as part of it) Can't remember what they were for, but it would seem they are commercially available from an average plumbers merchant :shock:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Waffty

Post by Waffty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 pm

BES sell 1/2" BSP nipples but they're only 25mm long. So if you have an alternative then I'd be interested :wink: & even if there is an alternative, it won't P*$$ on my parade, as half the enjoyment of my beer brewing, is this kind of thing & the very fact there's a similar offering, just goes to prove my idea/thoughts, was right on the money =D>

Owww & mine is 100% brass, so non of that nasty lead stuff present either [-X
Last edited by Waffty on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:30 pm

If I get a chance I will try and get a photo...........sorry, wont be today :(
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:46 pm

The 'o' ring on the inside still allows a leak path down the threads so you only need to seal on the outside. Edit just noticed you soldered the inner back nut so ignore that :oops: Your idea is very similar to a weldless spigot, I use them on my boiler for thermometer, sight tube and valve.

I use a coupler on the inside on the valve and outside on the thermometer and just the nipple for the sight tubes.

Image Image Image

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:36 pm

This was my solution to the 1/2" Ball valve attachment :)
Bought the bits (nipple and washer) and had it welded up at work. And used a Tap connector 15mm compression doofer to connect the hop strainer, which works a treat :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Just a thought...
You can buy Brass 1/2" BSP Pipe threaded all the way down, nice and easy to saw a piece off and skim the ends up and had the countersink in a lathe. #-o

Waffty

Post by Waffty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Now I do like the idea of that weldless spigot but suspect it's expensive being made of stainless?
pdtnc wrote:Just a thought...
You can buy Brass 1/2" BSP Pipe threaded all the way down, nice and easy to saw a piece off and skim the ends up and had the countersink in a lathe. #-o
I have seen brass thread runners but the only ones I've seen are only 25mm long, so if you've got access to anything longer then I'd be interested. The version I have, should have had a longer non-threaded section, so on the MK-II, I think I'll go for a 10mm section, as that would make a better sealing surface for the O rings.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Waffty wrote:Now I do like the idea of that weldless spigot but suspect it's expensive being made of stainless?
Couplers/sockets are a couple :lol: of quid click and nipples not much more, a few pages on :wink:

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:13 pm

http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/acatalo ... tings.html
About Halfway down the page.
Should have bookmarked this when i saw it the first time.