Kegorator and Temp Contoller Fermenting Chamber?(with Pics)

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MightyMouth

Kegorator and Temp Contoller Fermenting Chamber?(with Pics)

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:18 am

I have been gifted a chest freezer from freecycle and would like to use it as a kegorator but I would also like to have a temperature controlled fermenting chamber attached to the side of it with a duct of some sort to draw cold air from the freezer and a heater of some kind inside the chamber for heating.

I am wondering if I should convert the Freezer with a simple fridge thermostat and use a TC-10 or ATC800+ to control the chamber or should I buy 2 TC-10's or ATC800s and control both the fridge and the chamber. I really only need once circuit on the fridge so is there a better external thermostat that is cheaper?
(edit: After searching the forums a bit more I found this thermostat which I think will do the job for the fridge)

I don't suppose there is another cheaper and better way? Possibly a dual thermostat that will control both?

Any suggestions ?
Last edited by MightyMouth on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMouth

Re: Kegorator and Temp Contoller Fermenting Chamber?

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Well I picked the freezer up this afternoon, its a tad bigger than I expected. I can easily fit 10 cornies in it and I only have 2 so I have a dilemma. Do I let all that space got to waste or do I buy a bunch more cornies? I wonder if I could create a fermenting chamber within the kegorator somehow? I reckon I could get a 10 gallon fermenter and 6 cornies in with room to spare.

adm

Re: Kegorator and Temp Contoller Fermenting Chamber?(with Pics)

Post by adm » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:37 pm

I reckon you'll have problems making two different zones in that freezer.

But it looks absolutely perfect for mass conditioning and serving.

Go on..... you know you need more cornies......

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:31 pm

They look sad and lonely, look at that one huddled and shivering in the corner!
I ought to report you to the R.S.P.C.C.K.
It's a well known fact that they should be kept in groups of 6 or more, any less and it's nothing short of cruelty!
You should be ashamed! [-X Buy them some play mates. :lol:

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:07 pm

StrangeBrew wrote:
They look sad and lonely, look at that one huddled and shivering in the corner!
I ought to report you to the R.S.P.C.C.K.
It's a well known fact that they should be kept in groups of 6 or more, any less and it's nothing short of cruelty!
You should be ashamed! [-X Buy them some play mates. :lol:
You don't think they might breed if left on their own? :) I reckon you are right, I need at least 4 more.

Damfoose

Post by Damfoose » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:43 am

Three words here

" Norm from Ebay "

Fill it with cornies :twisted:

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:52 pm

Well, I have changed the Freezer thermostat for one with a more suitable temperature range and it seems to be working fine. Now to modify the Lid to allow the taps to be mounted. I am going to make a wooden extender between the freezer and the lid and am debating on whether to mount it on the Freezer or attach it to the lid. Mounting it on the freezer is probably a lot easier and will mean the freezer can sit closer to the wall but if I attach it on the lid I won't have to lift the kegs so high to get them out and lifting the lid will move the taps and tubing out of the way but will mean I will have to move the freezer another 4 inchest or so from the wall and I will have to figure out how to remove the sealing strip and attach it back on to the wooden frame. I am leaning toward mounting it on the freezer. Any thoughts?

Here is a pic of the new thermostat in place. I decided to buy this one as it goes from -35c to +35c so I can still use it as a freezer in the future if necessary.