Aluminium Firkin - cleaning?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
yashicamat
Under the Table

Aluminium Firkin - cleaning?

Post by yashicamat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 pm

I've managed to obtain an aluminium firkin from a brewery (yes, given not taken :lol: ). Thing is, it's been sat outside for at least several years (probably longer) so it has things living in it. I've hosed it out, but I'll have to take it to a local brewery and get it properly steam cleaned. My question is, is there a point where a cask "is beyond repair"? Or are they always cleanable? The lack of a decent aperture means that any kind of scrubbing is impossible. :(

Also, if I can get it clean, what chemicals are safe to use in an aluminium cask for future cleaning? I'd use betadine no rinse for sanitising (which I assume is safe . . . I'm sure it's safer than VWP or the like on this sort of metal).

Cheers. :)
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

boingy

Re: Aluminium Firkin - cleaning?

Post by boingy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Most breweries will assume it is stolen and will refuse to deal with it or, worse, they may confiscate it and hand it to Kegwatch.
Did you get any paperwork with it?
Is the cask marked with any coloured hoops?

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:02 pm

boingy wrote:Most breweries will assume it is stolen and will refuse to deal with it or, worse, they may confiscate it and hand it to Kegwatch.
Did you get any paperwork with it?
Is the cask marked with any coloured hoops?
It hasn't got any coloured hoops on it. It is VERY old and well before the colour-coding scheme was introduced.
Rob

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 am

Use a pressure washer with a small head, you can angle the spray about and it should clean it ok. Subsonic

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:50 am

Aluminium kegs usually have an 'epoxy' coating on the inside to prevent the beer from coming into contact with the aluminium . . . . . unfortunately this wears of with time (and repeated cleaning) . . . and then the keg needs repairing. If the brewery that gave you the keg has changed to plastic or stainless steel it may be that they are more than aware that it is beyond its useful life. You could try Morrow brothers in Preston to see how much it would cost to get it recoated. . . . A torch and an inspection mirror might help you see if the coating is indeed damaged . . . of course you will need a steam clean first.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks for the advice folks. I've been advised by a brewery friend to soak the keg in beer line cleaner at a relatively low conc for about a week. If the coating isn't intact then the barrel probably isn't worth mucking about with . . . no idea what the condition of the coating is, will shine a torch in there when I've got over this bloomin' lurgy.
Rob