Stainless Fittings for Hopstopper

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Digby Swift

Stainless Fittings for Hopstopper

Post by Digby Swift » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 am

I'm having trouble sourcing the parts for a stainless hopstopper and false bottom. I can find the correct connectors in copper but places like bes don't seem to have some of the equivalent parts in stainless, unless i'm just being stupid and can't find them.

I am using the same parts as many others on here, using a 1/2" nipple to come off my taps. I can find 1/2" tap connectors in copper and brass but I have seen some people have used stainless connectors and I was hoping to go down this route. Would anyone who has made these mind posting me a list of the parts I would need (I have the mesh). I have searched the forums but can only find hop stoppers with a copper parts list.

Digby Swift

Re: Stainless Fittings for Hopstopper

Post by Digby Swift » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:27 am

Excellent thanks Brewzone. At a quick glance those prices look really good.

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:43 pm

I think I have found all the bits I need except for the connecting pipe. Would I need to find a pipe with threads at both ends to use to connect from the tap fitting to the hopstopper?

brewzone

Post by brewzone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 pm

It's getting old of stainless pipe with female or male threads that always gives Me grief.

I'm thinking of investing in some tap and die sets so I can make My own.

Stainless tubing is easy enough to find its the treaded variety as above that is hard to find online.

BZ

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Digby, I made my hopstopper completely from stainless, I have loads of pipe left if you want a bit cut off for some postage

it is 1/2" so all your other bits would have to be this as well

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks Garth that's very generous. I do have a 3m length of 1/2" stainless pipe from BES which i am struggling to remember why I bought and what to do with it. Do you use unthreaded pipe and compression fittings Garth?

I have been looking on bes for the fittings that you use Garth. Is it really going to cost me about £50+ for the fittings? I definately want to go this route eventually so I am thinking I may as well just do it now but that is pretty steep.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:00 pm

ah good, you've already got some, same length I bought ages ago, used about 10" on my tun for a centre drain and about the same on the hopstopper.

yes, they are compression and the tube is unthreaded, and err, yes it will cost you quite a bit, but last forever, I just pressed 'Order' and forgot about the price, it's only money after all.......

a T piece £1.87, a 90 bend £1.46, a nipple £4.56, two washers, the piece of pipe, a compression to female 1/2 £17.33, and a compression to male 1/2 £12.76.

so apart from the pipe and the washers (a few pence), mine came to less than £40, add on the mesh, about £9 worth, yeah you're up in £50 land.

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:56 pm

I think I may have to just go for your technique of click quick and don't think about it. Thanks for the parts list. I was trying to work out from your picture what bits they were compared to the bes online pictures.