Using the Speck MY2-8000

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
befuggled

Using the Speck MY2-8000

Post by befuggled » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm

I am continuing this from the "eBay and other.." forum because it seems that a few of us have bought some of these and need to find out how to fit and use them.
If you are going to use these pumps, you do not need to buy or build anything special, just get yourself an off-the-shelf general purpose laptop supply rated at 24V with a max current of 6 amps as Brewzone suggests.
Just miss out all the waffle about getting a variable PSU going.
But this is what I did:

Firstly, find a power supply,

Monday am, great joy! The spares box yields a couple of PSUs I did in a previous life that I had forgotten about. Originally designed for 24/15/5V with an input switching down converter rated at up to 40V out at 4 amps – perfect. Chop out a couple of bits, remove a single resistor and replace with a pot and another fixed resistor. If anyone is interested, http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... s/1333.pdf tells you how to do it, but the L296 is probably obsolete now and there are much better ways to do it if it was for production.
If only all life was that easy…

Find a box to stick them in, ah, that’ll be up in the attic with all the spiders – it’s now that you regret the big chuck out of most of the “useful” stuff which had been up there for 15 years or more.
But all is not lost – total overkill but what the hell.
Offered up the PSUs on their brackets, fine, and then decide that I might as well put the thermostat and PID controllers in here as well – Monday 11.00 and more delay, but no point in doing the job twice.

Find a bit of ally for the front and back panels, jump all over the guillotine because its Birmabright, probably left over from a Series 1.
Then tragedy strikes – I have to do some proper work (lose most of the next 6 hours).
Once that is out of the way I draw up the front panel on squared paper – well it’s quicker than doing it on the CAD – stick it on the front panel and centre punch through, scribe the lines.
But now it’s too late to annoy the neighbours with cursing from the garage so it’s on with the electronics, do the modifications above and re-build onto the heatsinks.
Tuesday am, punch out the holes, linish (Bill Gates says that isn’t a word) with the belt sander and lacquer.
The Mashmaster on the mash tun has a weep, so I fix that prior to the tests while waiting for the panel to oven, then work intrudes again for a few hours.
Controller box is now part finished; the wiring of the PID and thermostat can come later because I am become desperate to get some actual results after having hand the pumps for nearly a week.

I’m using a couple of DMMs and a ‘scope so that I can look out for any instability. The ‘scope is very noddy and cheap but very portable and able to catch events if necessary.

First the pump setup: That is self amalgamating tape around the pipe to provide a bit of give but good support. There is an olive crimped onto the pipe but this is doing very little. Two o-rings are pushed onto the pipe and then the first is located in the grove in the pump. The second is to stiffen it up a bit.

I have decided to JB-weld a bit of 15mm onto the second pump, using the o-rings again as belt and braces and to ensure that no goo gets inside the pump.

But that is where it ends for tonight. It is now after 21:00 and for the last 4 hours I have been trying to work out why it is “hunting”.
My first quick test was with a brutish 20V 10A jobby had seemed to go very well. I did not check current but 16-21V seemed smooth and stable. Today, with either the new PSU or the brute, I am getting this slow hunting at about every few seconds. I first put it down to an airlock or cavitation, so I changed the orientation of the pump (pain in the proverbial because its all copper pipe) – but no change. So now I am thinking sucking in air at the inlet. Either way or something else I have had enough for now.
I just JB-welded a bit of copper into the second Speck, it’s going to need 15 hours, less a bit if I stick it in the oven at about 50C.

(opens another bottle of Youngs London Special...)
Last edited by befuggled on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

befuggled

Re: Using the Speck MY2-8000

Post by befuggled » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 am

Seems it is a common problem in forums. Google gives many examples, many obviously using the same forum software.

Hello Jim!

Or would you prefer us to post links? - I will have to find out how to do that!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

Using teh attcha file loads the images files from your PC to the forum webspace . . .Often you have quota of disk space provided by your web host . . if you fill that it gets expensive so forums have a limit to the amount of attachments that can be uploaded.

The preferred way for most forums is to upload the pictures to a web photo gallery and then post a link to the image in the forum

First you need to register with a photo gallery, most appear to use use http://www.photobucket.com . . . although you can use your own web space if provided by your ISP

Upload your photo to photobucket (or similar) then copy all of the code that starts with [img] for that photo. it's usually underneath your photo in your album.

paste it into your post and all should appear.

Alternatives to photobucket that some of you may or may not know of.

Your gmail account works as a login to picasa - http://www.picasaweb.com

Your yahoo account works as a login to flickr - http://www.flickr.com

Your hotmail address works as a login to Windows Live spaces - http://home.spaces.live.com/

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 am

Many thanks Aleman,
Although I look after a number of MS SB Servers and have one here I have never got involved in online galleries/twitter/facebook etc.
I could add a W2008 web server here, I've got the appropriate Cisco Security device with DMZ and multiple routers on a range of fixed IPs. Plenty of spare harware, in fact there is a SBS2003 machine doing nothing. Even got large UPSs and a backup generator!

BUT, I am much more interested in getting my new garage brewairy up and running so I will get on with your advice and maybe actually host it later.
Thanks again!

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 am

Once again, thanks aleman, it's easy when you know how!
I was getting concerned that I might not be able to get the pictures of the rest of the brewairy up here!

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:32 pm

And finally:

A normal 4 amp PSU with current limiting will not be enough, I have measured currents in excess of 4.5 amps during turn on and while changing the flow rate, even at fixed voltage.
This leads to the PSU shutting down and re-start repeatedly.

I have a laptop PSU here rated at 19.5V and 6 amps – that works fine and you do need the extra capacity.

I had to change the over current limits on my own PSUs which are rated at 4 amps under normal conditions, they now work fine with an output range of 18.5 to 24 volts.

In the meantime, I JB-welded bits of copper pipe into the pump inlets. I am going to try it with no other support first. If I get too much vibration then I will re-think this and might add a short length of flexible hose. If you weld on a hose tail a la Brewzone and use flexible hose, you should be ok – but as Brewzone says – watch out for the kick!

Some simplified results:
This first pump is for re-circulating around the mash tun and only has a head of about 400mm.

18.5v, no output throttle, 2.3 amps 17 litres per minute
20.0v, 2.5 amps, 20 lpm
22.0v, 2.8 amps, 22 lpm
24.0v, 3.2 amps, 24 lpm

18.5v, output fully throttled 1.6 amps
20.0v, 1.7 amps
22.0v, 1.9 amps
24.0v, 2.1 amps

From the above, you should be able to deduce pretty much anything.
Flow rates are very approx as it only takes 5 seconds to fill a two litre jug!
(But measured results are remarkably close to the spec – not fiddled guv, honest).

I throttled the output to almost nothing with the output valve and got a flow rate of 0.25 lpm at 24v; reducing the voltage to 18.5v I got 0.2 lpm.

If anyone is interested I can post results for the second pump which has to feed the HLT with pre-boiled water at 80C. The head will be about 1.5m. It also needs to back flush the Counter Flow cooler apart from the far more interesting job of pumping wort around the boiler and then into the FVs (probably next week now).

Conclusion – waste of time! But I had to do it anyway.
The flow rate variation with voltage is only about 25-40%. The flow rate by throttling is sod all to a lot (but at least it’s a bit quieter!).

Do what BZ has been saying all along; get a 24v 6A PSU off eBay!!

Now, does anyone know anything about magnetically coupled pumps?
Is there a minimum speed?
If it worthwhile, I will look into modifying the Papst motor to get a wide range of control.
For the time being, I am going to get on with the system and get brewing some beer at last…

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks Brewzone, there's a lot there to read and I am sure it will answer several of my questions!

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Liking the set up befuggled. You are not feart are you? Many years away then straight back in with scopes 'n' a thing! =D>

On the flow rate i am planning to run mine at 24V and throttle down the output to control flow(brewzone, cheers). No idea if the pump will get damaged by back pressure. I could go looking on the net but i'm more of a hands on let it rip sort of guy.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 pm

I had to look that up!
http://www.stooryduster.co.uk/pages07/feart.htm
No, just too old and knackered to know better!!