Help identifying some kit

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
TheMumbler

Help identifying some kit

Post by TheMumbler » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 pm

I've recently been given some kit, including a Boots pressure barrel, an immersion heater (I think) and a FV with a fitting to allow insertion of the heater. Is a 75watt electrim immersion heater much use for beer (assuming it works)? Or is it intended for making wine?
the barrel is from boots and has a valve on the 4" cap. There is a plastic cover which screws over the valve, in the form of a roughly 4" long tube closed at one end. Could anybody tell me what kind of valve it is? I presume it is for adding C02 to the barrel. Also are there any good ways to test the barrel before filling it with precious beer?

chris_reboot

Re: Help identifying some kit

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 pm

the valve should have a black cover that screws on over the thread and you use the small sparkler co2 bulbs (about 4" long) to go inside. when screwed in, the cover pierces the bulb and the co2 enters the keg.

It's a bit 1980's, but that's not to say a good clean up and sterlise wont stop you.
the boots kit was good in its day.
check rubber washers and o rings. they may need replacing if its old and hasnt been used in a while.

the immersion would help fermentation if its in a cold area like a shed or garage to maintain heat into the brew.

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 pm

I am currently using a barrel with the same sparkler system as the one shown, until I get my cornies up and running.
the CO2 bulbs can be bought from your local home brew shop or wilko's for around £4 for 10.
if your seals are good on your barrel then you probably wont need to insert a bulb until you have drunk half the contents.
The main problem you may find is if the seals are no good then you will insert a bulb and the next day all the gas has escaped so you need to insert another. With bad seals it can be an expensive way to carbonate your beer so I would replace all the rubber seals before you start. you could always fill the barrel with water and try a sparker bulb to see how long it stays pressurised. In my experience of these older pressure barrels its the safety blow-off valve that is the weak link

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the seals then