Small kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
badgerdan

Small kegs

Post by badgerdan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:20 pm

I love the brewferm mini kegs as they're small so I can store them easy and just take out 5liters of beer and whack it in the fridge when I need it, hence not upsetting the GF much by taking up the entire fridge for one keg or indeed buying an extra fridge (for which there is no place anyway) but it states on their website "There is never any contact with the outside air so your beer is preserved for at least a couple of weeks" but Is there any kegs of the same type that'll last a lot lot longer?

As tempting as it sounds, I'm not able to drink 25 liters of beer in two weeks (family, work etc) and am fed up of using so many bottles to store the beer in.

The brewferm kegs really suit me but why is the beeronly good for a couple of weeks?

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Small kegs

Post by Waffty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:50 pm

As the beer is drawn off, it needs to be replaced with something, usually air, the air over a period of time will react with the beer & cause it to go off.

You can reduce this effect by using CO2 as the 'backfill' medium, since the beer won't be adversly effected by the CO2 (well other then carbination, if used at too higher pressure).

In a corny setup, the beer is effectivley forced out of the keg via CO2 pressure, as such the the beer inside is covered by a blanket of CO2, resulting in significantly longer storage time.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:58 pm

You could try using the mini-Cornies. They hold 2 gallons/10 litres and can just about be squeezed into a domestic fridge if you are prepared to rearrange the shelves and take most of the food out!

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm sure there's a CO2 dispensing system for these mini kegs, check on Hop & Grapes site, as that's where I've seen them.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:10 am

I think those kegs come with a co2 system already, but was just thinking; would the beer be fine in the unopened kegs for a long time and would the 2 weeks drink up time be for the one that's been tapped?

If that's the case I can handle that. 5 litres in 2 weeks is no problem but the entire 23 litres would be :)

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Just got this reply from Brewferm :)
Shelflife of a couple of weeks is for the beer that is on tap.
The beer in the kegs has of coarse a longer shelflife ( depending on the type and treatment)
The pressure in the kegs hould be around 1.5 bar and 2 ba if higher there is a risk of deformation of the keg.
Kind Regards,

Jef Goetelen
Sounds good to me but what pressure is cider and all those higher carbonated drinks at?