How Much: 2 Cornies & Gas setup?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

How Much: 2 Cornies & Gas setup?

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Just now seems to be about the worst time I could think of for thinking I need a couple of Cornelius kegs, but with Christmas coming I want to try and have a range of Beers matured and in stock.
My present, mostly, 12 litre brew length sees me drink through it and give tester bottles to mates... then its all gone, nothing to save for Christmas.
Then I do a couple of larger 5 gallon batches and I fill my brewing/ conditioning cupboard to the limit!

Admittedly I probably have at least 60 bottles of crate'd beer that is ready to drink, with 80+ bottles conditioning/maturing.

So, back to my question...
Its about £35 per Cornie, so £70 for those but how much do you need to spend on Gas bottle, Regulator/s, pipework, dispensing tap etc???

jubby
Under the Table

Re: How Much: 2 Cornies & Gas setup?

Post by jubby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 pm

About £30 for a twin gauge regulator which displays bottle pressure and keg pressure.
About £35 for a 7kg C02 bottle (£15 of that is a deposit)
£35 for a shiny freeflow tap or dalex flow control tap. There are lots of options on tap types, but £35 will buy you any of the better ones.
Pipe and connections, probably about £15 from here http://shop.ebay.co.uk/lig5150/m.html?_ ... m=&_ipg=25
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Cheers for that...
I better stick to Bottling for the moment, that is going on for £200. :)

adm

Post by adm » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Actually, you should be able to go a bit cheaper.....the Dalex taps can be had on eBay for £17, and if you can find a decent gas supplier, they won't ask for a deposit on the bottle. The gas should be about £13-14 or so for a 7Kg fill that will last you for bloody ages....

So - £70 for the cornies, discos and gas line from Norm. Reg about £30 from norm, plus the above and you'll also want a couple of 3/8 to 3/16 adaptors and a few metres of 3/16 beer line. You should be able to do it all in for about £150 if you shop around and have a good local gas supplier.

It's still quite pricey....but well worth it once you're set up. Plus you shouldn't lose any money if you wanted to sell the cornies on at a later date.

Parva

Post by Parva » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Further to ADM's post, the initial cost is quite high but once you have the gas, regulator and tap buying further cornie kegs is actually cheaper than buying plastic King Kegs. They'll also last a lifetime! :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:12 pm

:) Blooming Arm Twisters!!
Best wait and see if I'm still going to be in work come Christmas :|