gas burners

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
triggertrevor

gas burners

Post by triggertrevor » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi all its me again yet another question

Gas burners what size do i need and what do i need to look for in a burner.

Can a gas burner be electronically controlled lets say to control strike water.?

i would like a burner that can boil up say 60-70ltrs for the brew kettle and maybe half that for the strike water.

thanks for any input into this

i have found a website for burners please take a look and tell me what you think. http://www.stockpotsrus.co.uk/index.php ... 2d5cb50db2

please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 3 burners

cheers ...Kev

Subsonic

Re: gas burners

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:27 am

You need a high pressure burner. Those are pricey but look ok. Check Bayou Burners on E-bay or KingKookers. These are used in the states and you can just buy the cast burner head and fabricate a stand. ADM uses one as well but its different, no doubt he will chip in. Subsonic

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:48 pm

I would do a search on ebay or the like for "turkey fryer". That is the size burner that I use. Without being at home I wouldn't want to guess at the size and steer you wrong. Mine (I have 3) have no problem bringing 50L to a boil. Can't say for 70L.

As for the auto start, I wouldn't want an open flame without supervision.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

brewzone

Post by brewzone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 pm

The £110.00 32 jet version is supposed to be the best there is.

I have toyed with the idea of trying one out for some time.

They are really for outside use if not using a thermo coupling cutoff device.

BZ

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm

This is the burner head I use http://www.kingkooker.com/detail.php?ID=122 $19 odd so add in postage and its still not a bad deal. You can fabricate a stand easily enough and the burner head has a screw thread at the base for fixing. Subsonic (Edit - mine boils 50 litres no problem, in fact I have to close it down a lot to prevent massive boilovers!)

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 am

Subsonic wrote:This is the burner head I use http://www.kingkooker.com/detail.php?ID=122 $19 odd so add in postage and its still not a bad deal. You can fabricate a stand easily enough and the burner head has a screw thread at the base for fixing. Subsonic (Edit - mine boils 50 litres no problem, in fact I have to close it down a lot to prevent massive boilovers!)

IS this a stadard screw fitting to the gas pipe?

The stand is made from welded steeli imagine?

Thanks
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

adm

Post by adm » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:59 pm

I use a Bullfinch Unilow Furnace: like this

They are bloody good, but not cheap (c£120), however they come up cheap on eBay every now and again, which is where I got mine from. come ot think of it, I get almost everything cheap from eBay these days....

If you get one, i would advise making sure to get the heat diffuser too (about £6) or the burner could well burn the bottom out of your kettle if it's a thin base.