tap set up

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
tractor

tap set up

Post by tractor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi all

i'm serving carbinated cider, I have a standard tap without flow control, it has a 5/16 inlet. coming out of my keg is a 3/8 fitting on the coupler so at the moment i have a reducer inline between the keg and the tap.

however i'm finding the cider is coming out too foamey, it's chilled to the right temperature, the only way to stop it is to have the co2 pressure set to around 2 psi, which takes takes ages to fill a pint.

so do i

-move the reducer closer to the keg,

-move the reducer closer to the tap

-get a tap with flow control

-change the fitting on the coupler so it's 5/16 to match the tap

or none of the above? i don't think it's to do with the length of the tube coming from the keg to the taps because it's only about 1.5m long in total

Scooby

Re: tap set up

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 pm

You could move the reducer as close to the keg as possible, then increase the length of 5/16" line so that you increase the resistance and hence reduce the pressure at the tap. Line length is trial and error so go long and gradually cut back.

Or, change the 3/8" JG fitting on the keg to a 3/16" and fit a reducer with a stem od of 5/'16" and a tube od of 3/16" to the tap and do the trial and error thing with 3/16" line. You'll need less of the smaller dia line as it has more resistance.

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi mate,from the 3/8 outlet reduce to 3/16 using a stem adapter,use 5 foot of 3/16 line to the tap which you should also reduce form 5/16 to 3/16 with a stem adapter. I use this for cider and lager served at 20psi with no probs.
Hope that helps.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello........... Hello :lol:

tractor

Post by tractor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Guys thanks for the quick replys, my internet has been down all weekend.

heres the 5/16 to 3/16 adaptor
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-16-x-3-16-Stem- ... .m14.l1262

heres the 3/8 to 3/16 adaptor
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-8-x-5-16-Stem-A ... .m14.l1262

the same guy also does the line and everything.

whats the reason for using 3/16 line? does it slow the flow down because the pressure increases going from a bigger pipe to a smaller pipe?

i'll get all the stuff i just wanted to know why it works?

thanks

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm

The ideal is to set the required pressure to carbonate and serve at that pressure, (balance system) obviously with highly carbonated drinks if you just use a tap straight from the cornie you'll have a fire extinguisher.

You need to balance the applied pressure, or the pressure in the keg's head space, and the total restriction of the beverage system. It's harder to push beer through a long length of tubing than a short length because of the frictional resistance of the tubing's surface, and the smaller the dia the more resistance there is.

With the correct length and dia of tubing to lower the pressure at the tap you'll be able to dispense without adjusting the pressure in the keg and with the tap fully open.

There are some tables for the length/dia/pressure but start longer than needed say 2-2.5m and gradually shorten the tube until your happy.

Edit Just noticed you have the correct 5/16" x 3/16" for the tap but the other one is 3/8" x 5/16" not 3/16". Give him a call i expect he'll have one :wink:

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Here's the other adapter you need 3/8 x 3/16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-8-x-3-16-Straig ... .m14.l1262

tractor

Post by tractor » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks guys, the above makes a lot more sense, kinda obvious when you know like most things :)

I ordered the bits I need and they arrived the next day!!

The line comes in 3 metres lengths so what I’ll do is I’ll pressurise the keg to 20 psi and try using the tap with the full 3 metres and see how slow it comes out. Then I’ll just keep knocking off 20cm or so till I’m happy with the flow. I’ll let you know the final length.

Once I’ve got all that set up I’d like to sort out my other coupler keg and tap and hopefully get 2 taps on the go, but I do need to get the john guest fittings that screw onto the coupler, it’s a sankey coupler but I can’t remember if it’s a ½” or ¾” fitting? I bought the other ones last year and can’t remember. Does anyone know off the top of they’re head?

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 pm

You might find them cheaper elsewhere
http://www.a1barstuff.co.uk/detail.asp?ProdID=477