Budget Barrel Level Dropping?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
RussDeBuss

Budget Barrel Level Dropping?

Post by RussDeBuss » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry if this seems a daft question, i'm fairly new to brewing and have just doen my 3rd brew, gone for great eastern this time, this is the 1st brew that i have barrelled, i have a wilko(young's) budget barrel with the co2 cartridge pin valve.

it's been in the barrel for a few days now and i have noticed the level has dropped about 5-10mm, is this normal? I'm guessing it is because the pressure has built up from the priming sugars being eaten. from what i can tell i have no leaks from the tap so i am assuming this is normal, but am nervous as my first barrel.

soemone put my mind at ease please

thanks

Parva

Re: Budget Barrel Level Dropping?

Post by Parva » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:32 pm

If you have no leaks then I would imagine that the barrel has expanded a little under pressure which therefore would increase the space available and make it look as though the beer level had dropped. That's the only explanation I can think of anyway. :)

RussDeBuss

Post by RussDeBuss » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:41 pm

kind of what i was thinking, but not sure if it's norml or not.

RussDeBuss

Post by RussDeBuss » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 pm

a good sign then i guess, means the priming is working, and the barrel is holding the preasure in.

just need to wait now. how long would you recomend i wait before drinking.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:59 pm

RussDeBuss wrote:a good sign then i guess, means the priming is working, and the barrel is holding the preasure
Exactly. Mine do it too and I don't see it as a problem.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger