where to store the cornies

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wetdog

where to store the cornies

Post by wetdog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:26 pm

I've had these cornies for a year now and its finally getting to the point where I'm going to use them.
The only problem I've got is where should I store them. I'll be getting one of those pub type cylinders but are they safe to keep in the house? - would it invalidate the insurance? I can keep it all in the garage but that means a potentially cold and wet journey in the dark to get a drink.
So where do you keep yours?

MightyMouth

Re: where to store the cornies

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:59 pm

I store mine in the garage but but I have a door to it in my kitchen so its not a problem. I can't see why it would be a problem storing a CO2 Cylinder in the house but they don't have a very stable base so make sure you have a way to secure it from falling over.

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Yup, no problems storing them in the house. I own diving cylinders that are up to 232-300 psi and they're legal :)

I'm also trying to work out ways of storing my beer. Hate bottling now as it takes so long and then all you do is take a few seconds emptying the thing later on :p I don't have room anywhere for large kegs though, especially anywhere to keep them cool so am hoping to find 5 liter kegs that hold the beer good for a while

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:09 pm

CO2 cylinders are about 500 PSI I think . . . but yes they *should* be safe. I've never heard of one failing. If you have pets / small children though, you might think twice about having one inside the house because if they leaked they could flood the area just above the floor with carbon dioxide . . . fairly unlikely to happen if people are moving about, but if it's a dog asleep and it happens overnight then it's possible I suppose.

I keep mine in the garage and have a hook above it mounted in the wall with a metal chain attached to the top of the CO2 cylinder. If mine is knocked it just hangs there. They are not only unstable, but also pretty heavy, so you probably don't want one perched above some nice floor tiles . . .
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Yeah the worst thing will be it falling on people's toes or just developing a leak but that's unlikely.
I've seen a few videos of people trying to launch one across a room by whacking the top off it but it was always extremely hard for them to succeed

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:47 am

yashicamat wrote:CO2 cylinders are about 500 PSI I think . . .
Upto about 800PSI at room temperatures but this does depend on the temperature that the tank is stored at. :)

spiderpig

Post by spiderpig » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 am

co2 fire extinguishers are kept in homes am sure the psi of them is about same :wink:

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 am

Gas cylinders deserve a bit of respect. There is a huge amount of energy stored there and the gas will suffocate an adult if it is all released in a relatively unventilated room. Secure the cylinder to a wall, out of direct sunlight and away from radiators. Ideally you would have it near a door or vent so the gas can leave the house if it leaks. C02 is heavier than air so will build up at floor level. Take sensible precautions and you will be fine.

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am

in the house it is then. I'll just have to suffer the walk from the living room to the kitchen for my beer :D