Barrel Tap

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
RussDeBuss

Barrel Tap

Post by RussDeBuss » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm

silly newbish question.

when i take beer from my budget barrel (wilko/youngs) do i need to wash the tap somehow? if i don't will it get a bit scummy and mouldy from any beer that is left on it?

if it needs washing does anyone have any good ways to do it, i was hinking turkey baster and hot water?

tractor

Re: Barrel Tap

Post by tractor » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:45 pm

once the barrells empty you should be able to unscrew the tap out (anti clockwise) make sure you turn the two wing looking things because the tap itself does just spin around. just give it a soak and screw it back in

should be fine

cheers

RussDeBuss

Post by RussDeBuss » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:18 pm

yeah, sorry but i mean whilst still drinking it. ie. if i have a few pints, leave it a week and have a few more, do i need to wash/rinse up the spout of the tap to clear out any beer to stop bacteria etc, or is this not necessary?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes just give it a rinse. If you can rotate it upside down and place a bowl under it, then it's easily done. You can even use a tiny brush or cotton bud if you are bothered. As long as you have pressure in the barrel (no suck back) it will not effect the beer, so as long as the tap isn't minging the drawn off beer will be fine :wink:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife