HOW DO YOU USE YOUR BEER ENGINE

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

HOW DO YOU USE YOUR BEER ENGINE

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I was wondering how people deal with beer engines. In a pub the keg would be vented (and used quickly) so the hand pump can draw ale at atmospheric pressure. As we don't use up a keg that quickly it would probably oxidise. To prevent this, CO2 is injected to the keg. The beer is now under pressure. How do you all balance the pressure the beer comes out with and also if the pressure is used up, prevent a vacuum forming above the beer. What is the best vessel to connect a beer engine to? What size is the bore of your beer line?
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: HOW DO YOU USE YOUR BEER ENGINE

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks Trunky. That looks like a good system. Are the bags reusable (I know they are quite cheap). Does the beer have to be completely fermented or will they stand some pressure if it carbonetes a little?
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes, I was wondering about the venting issue. I have read the spec anc can't quite understand how it works. Is it vented via a valve on the tap, in which case I assume it would have to be stored with the tap uppermost untill venting is complete. I guess you would want a little CO2 produced just to drive the air out of the bag.
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:56 pm

It's possible to use a beer engine from a pressurised barrel using a 'demand valve'. This goes between the barrel and the beer engine and will only allow flow when there is a negative pressure at the outlet side of the valve; in other words, when you pull the handle on the beer engine, the valve opens, when you stop pulling it closes,thus preventing gas pressure from pushing the beer out through the beer engine. It's not ideal, mainly because the beer tends to froth more due to being more highly carbonated than usual, but it does work.

Here's a couple of threads that go into more detail.

Clicky1

Clicky2
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks Jim. I guess the answer is to regulate the CO2 into the barrel at atmospheric pressure (or just over). Just enough to prevent a vacuum. I don't have the kit to do this at the moment.

Trunky, I'm with you now....breathable plastic....whatever next? :lol:

Looks like the answer is to vent the barrel and drink VERY fast........ah well :lol: :lol:
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............