S30 valve passing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
munchy102

S30 valve passing

Post by munchy102 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi there, I have just kegged up 40 pints of Coopers lager and primed with 350 grams sugar. Now 3 days later there is a constant leak coming from the valve. It is coming from the top locking ring, the one with the hole in. I did notice a small tear in the underside washer before i kegged it up but managed to re-arrange it so it was seated under the valve. So my question is, is the valve doing its job and venting of or do you think the rubber washer is at fault and needs replacing. if it does need replacing is it best to wait for secondary fermentaion to cease, do it then and re-prime or just do it now?
Thanks
Andy

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: S30 valve passing

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm

I am confused as to if it is the actual valve that is leaking or is it the gasket seal that is leaking?
Perhaps I missed something in the post.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

munchy102

Post by munchy102 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 pm

yea i don't really know myself. It seems to be coming from the hole in the brass locking ring on top of the barrel.I'll try to get a picture. However reading round this forum a lot of people are saying they primed with 85grams of sugar, As you can see i used well over 300 grams, so am wondering if the valve is actually doing it's job.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:48 pm

I like to smear some Vas under my rubbers, if you pinch the rubber oposite to the hole in the brass does this stop the hiss, you may have an uneven rubber (band) tension.

I had a valve laying about, is this the rubber that I pulled back to show blow hole?

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 pm

It's working normally. 350g is a ridiculously large amount of priming sugar to use (by about a factor of about 4) so the relief valve is allowing the excess to vent off. Would you rather have a burst barrel? If you want highly-carbonated keg beer, use a cornie. Plastic kegs simply won't take the pressure.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 pm

OldSpeckledBadger wrote:It's working normally. 350g is a ridiculously large amount of priming sugar to use (by about a factor of about 4) so the relief valve is allowing the excess to vent off. Would you rather have a burst barrel? If you want highly-carbonated keg beer, use a cornie. Plastic kegs simply won't take the pressure.

I did not read the 350g's

BLAMUS :oops:

at least it will be fizzy and stronger than you thought?

munchy102

Post by munchy102 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Ahhhhhh yes guys, just re-read the instuction's. Its 8 grams of sugar per litre not per pint as i thought :oops: Thanks for all our quick replies fellas, nice 1.....
Andy

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:23 am

munchy102 wrote:Ahhhhhh yes guys, just re-read the instuction's. Its 8 grams of sugar per litre not per pint as i thought :oops: Thanks for all our quick replies fellas, nice 1.....
Andy
8 grammes per litre is twice as much as you'd usually use in a plastic keg.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:17 pm

OldSpeckledBadger wrote:
8 grams per litre is twice as much as you'd usually use in a plastic keg.

Cooper's basic instructions mention this figure and it seems that this relates to bottling. Perhaps they don't keg brews in Australia.
Either way 85 grams is sufficient when kegging.

RussDeBuss

Post by RussDeBuss » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 pm

i found the other day i was getting the oposite problem. i found my budget barrel with pin valve had 2 tiny drops of brew that had come ou of 2 areas of the tap, tiny drops that had started to dry into a sticky syrup, hopefully helping keep sealed where it's gone hard.

i thought i would look at the valve to see if the pressure is getting too much, my beer level had dropped about 12mm thru barrel expansion.
i only slightly touched the rubber and the amount of pressure that got released was imense, made me jump with the screamong whistle.

i am assuming thr ruber just got a little stuck, i think next brew in the barrel i will vasaline under the pressure release rubber to stop it sticking.

about 3 weeks of conditioning left, can't wait to try it, great eastern. tasted good on the sample so fingers crossed.