Mango chutney Boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
NickP

Mango chutney Boiler

Post by NickP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:48 pm

I have just finished fitting the elements in my mango chutney boiler, i know a few people on here have them and was wondering what sort of time for boiling you were getting :?:

it has 2xBacker Elements (2.4kw each) an i have been running both of these for 45 mins and still havent produced a boil, the water i placed in was out of the cold tap so it heating it up from quite low temeprature.

Is it worth insulating this perhaps to improve the time :-k

CJBrew

Re: Mango chutney Boiler

Post by CJBrew » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I'd expect it to take over an hour, probably. You could always bung a couple of extra elements in there!
(joking. maybe...?)

As it is when you boil beer you'll be starting at sparge temperatures, maybe 65'C. So it won't be as bad.

NickP

Post by NickP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:18 pm

fair enough, i was doing a test to see if it was watertight, but i noticed it was taking a long time to boil, was wondering if it was normal but about an hour is what it took.

I dont like the fit of the elements though, had trouble screwing them on (another post) but after i cut them down a bit the screw on but i dont seem to be able to tighten them enough (for me anyway) i will have to look at getting some sort of metal fixing for them.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:33 pm

If you have a combi boiler, you can start of with 60 C water and save a load of time.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 pm

My single 2.2 KW element boiler takes about an hour to get to the boil from cold.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:50 pm

NickP wrote:I have just finished fitting the elements in my mango chutney boiler, i know a few people on here have them and was wondering what sort of time for boiling you were getting :?:

it has 2xBacker Elements (2.4kw each) an i have been running both of these for 45 mins and still havent produced a boil, the water i placed in was out of the cold tap so it heating it up from quite low temeprature.

Is it worth insulating this perhaps to improve the time :-k
My mango chutney boiler with two tesco kettle elements takes about an hour to get to a boil with just over 30 litres of water.

[EDIT]:
Forgot to say, the main reason I'm thinking about insulation is to keep the temperature stable when it comes to sparging. Not sure how much of a difference it would take to boil times.

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

NickP

Post by NickP » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:07 pm

It seems like an hour is quite common for these, but one thing that confuses me a little is when i was doing the test I did it outside and pluged both elements (2.4kw) into the same extension lead. I always thought that to work out the current on these things the equation was W/V=I which works out at 10amps so i would have thought 20amps for 2. My extension lead has only got a 13amp fuse so im not sure why it didn't blow :!:

Both elements looked like they were working as I could see visible signs like bubbles etc so not sure whats going on perhaps the elements are doing 2.4kw after all :!:

nobby

Post by nobby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I use 2 10amp elements like these http://www.easyspares.co.uk/products.asp?c=24&c2=161

I I can get get 25 ltr to the boil in about 20-25 minutes. It sounds like the kettle elements are not as good as they should be.

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm

I leave the lid on mine until it comes to the boil, that should definitely speed it up somewhat. Watch it like hawk when the hot break is approaching however! Don't think it takes mine as long as an hour this way

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

NickP

Post by NickP » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Im beginning to think they may be a bit suspect, I will have to give them another try and monitor things a bit more closley. And then contact backers if they seem defective :(