Dean catering boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Dean catering boiler

Post by pas8280 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm

I have just been given a Dean Catering boiler/ tea urn from a local scout master. It is butane fired,it does not appear to have a thermostat but looks like it can be controled via the inline gas regulator, it also looks to be around the 25ltr capacity but will have to have a good look over it.Does anyone have any knowledge of these boilers and thier suitability for me to go all grain ???
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

MightyMouth

Re: Dean catering boiler

Post by MightyMouth » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:51 pm

If it will boil your 25 litres of wort and it doesnt leak then it is suitable.

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Had a good look at this boiler today first of all it doesnt leak (hooray) but i can get only 20ltrs in it with a couple of inches too the brim ! Can i therefore downsize my ingredients to suit the smaller capacity until i can get a bigger boiler or should i just half them and go for a 11.5 ltr brew ? The thing has been running off Butane is it possible to run it off propane ?
Also i have got my hands on a 24ltr coolbox without a hole, will this be big enough and can i just drill through and fit tap and filter?
Sorry guys for the questions but the path to fullfillment is so close now i can almost taste it and these minor problems are all that stand in my way of AG (even bribed the missus to let me ferment in the house)

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Yes to all

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Cheers mightymouth would you go for a 20ltr brew or just half everything and make it easier ?

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:48 pm

I would go for whatever will fit and boil without boiling over. I brew 46 litres at a time as it takes just about the same amount of time as for 23. Graham Wheelers book has recipes for 19lt brews

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 am

If you're going to need to scale recipes up and/or down it's probably worthwhile getting some brewing software, ProMash or BeerSmith or one of the free ones. It makes your life very easy, for scaling a recipe from 25l to 20 or whatever.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:28 am

I can do you a simple spreadsheet in Excel to work out the quantities if you want?

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:05 am

Garwatts that would be great thanks very much