Hambleton Bard S30 cylinders

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crowds

Hambleton Bard S30 cylinders

Post by crowds » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:41 pm

I have a wilko's el cheapo pressure barrel with an escape valve but no S30 connector.
The lhbs sells replacement caps with the correct connectors so here's what I'm thinking.

While I plan to go down the cornie path that's gonna be a Christmas thing (should of seen the look on the GF's face when I told her what I wanted)
So for the time being ive been thinking about using the S30 system.
I was going to go bulbs to begin with but it would seem to be non cost effective and a google search shows Hambleton Bard to be just about on my doorstep !
So hopefully I can buy direct from them.

What id like some advice with is whether or not the barrel will be up to the job if I swap caps ?
Also can the Hambleton Bard bottles be used with cornie for when I do start getting the kit together ?

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Re: Hambleton Bard S30 cylinders

Post by smeggedup » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 pm

i'd be surprised if yo could swap the caps, but you should be able to swap the valves over in the caps, if not you could drill a 18mm hole in the cap and place a s30 valve in.
cornelius kegs can be used with s30's, the same as above you need to drill the hole in the metal lid, take a look here http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/cornelius.htm.
i've always found s30's to be hit and miss regarding pressure
Drink till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

If i can't brew it i dont drink it

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Of course you can swap the cap for one with an S30 valve fitted and the wilcos budget barrels are the same ones that everyone sells.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

crowds

Post by crowds » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks for the reply fellas. I might go for the s30 system for the plastic barrel and go straight to a proper co2 with regulators system for the cornelius kegs. I will be keeping the plastic in service so it wont be a complete waste to use 2 separate systems. Handy if I ever send the odd 40 pints to my dad :)