what is rims/herms?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
escapizm

what is rims/herms?

Post by escapizm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Ive read a few excellent threads on some state of the art micro setup that mention rims/herms ?

Can some one break it down in laymans terms? #-o

mysterio

Re: what is rims/herms?

Post by mysterio » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Recirculation Immersion Mash System and & Heat Exchanger Recirculation Mash System (I think that's right anyway).

Both systems use a pump to recirculate wort from the bottom to the top of the mash via a pump.

The RIMS passes the wort through a chamber with a heating element controlled by a PID to maintain the mash at a particular temperature (or perform a step mash). The HERMS passes it through a coil within a temperature controlled chamber of water (heat exchanger) to achieve the same aim.

I don't use one of these systems myself. I appreciate the engineering put into them and the dedication. And it is one way of getting a very repeatable mash program. For me, I just see one extra thing to go wrong and one extra thing to clean :D

escapizm

Post by escapizm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 pm

mysterio wrote:Recirculation Immersion Mash System and & Heat Exchanger Recirculation Mash System (I think that's right anyway).

Both systems use a pump to recirculate wort from the bottom to the top of the mash via a pump.

The RIMS passes the wort through a chamber with a heating element controlled by a PID to maintain the mash at a particular temperature (or perform a step mash). The HERMS passes it through a coil within a temperature controlled chamber of water (heat exchanger) to achieve the same aim.

I don't use one of these systems myself. I appreciate the engineering put into them and the dedication. And it is one way of getting a very repeatable mash program. For me, I just see one extra thing to go wrong and one extra thing to clean :D
Thanks that a very informative reply =D> sounds £$£$

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Maybe not too expensive?

Pump, about £55 for one which will pump 80C+ e.g Toton or Spec
Cartridge Heater, about £25 inc delivery from Spain
Some 15mm and 22mm copper pipe and a few fittings ~ £15
PID controller + sensor, ebay about £42
Box to put the electronics in etc

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23643
http://www.philrobins.org.uk/

I like the ideas of repeatability and, for the wife, Stella by decoction, stepping up the mash temperature; she is not called Stella and I wouldn't know what......
But my first heater went duff within a few minutes, probably just bad luck, two more on order.
I see very little difference in the function of the hardware between the two but the cartridge heater is much less work!
You can see my implementation in PPB groans into life thread. In the scope of things, the heater etc were only a small part of the (lack of) budget.

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:16 pm

befuggled wrote:Maybe not too expensive?

Pump, about £55 for one which will pump 80C+ e.g Toton or Spec
Hoping this'll do the job [-o< - first component - £1.20+p&p
Made my day: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
:flip:

befuggled - saw your brewery - stunning!

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 pm

I read that RIMS was tricky so that caught my attention, also the ability to repeat and control your Mash was a major plus, just think you taylor a great beer but it needs a tweak, a RIMS or HERMS helps give you that control, also the fun and pain of building the setup. :lol:
take a look at some of these systems

http://www.brewzilla.nl/brewhalla.htm

This was where I was going when I started out http://hbd.org/discus/messages/366/33903.html

befuggled I hope you have looked at these?

Shame some of the links are broken. :(

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:08 am

Wow, I have come across quite a few of these in my hunting around, but never found the page with all the pictures and links.
This should be required reading for all new starters!

wmfd - with luck like that you have got a really good start! £1.20!! =P~
See if you can find out what temperature it is rated for and maybe run it with hot water until you have confidence!
(Smell the water for traces of "plastic" at the least).
I bought a cheapy to find that it would only pump fluids up to 50C :( but at least it wasn't a large expense.

There are quite a lot of cartridge heater suppliers, but most of the UK ones I found are making a massive mark-up as Garymiff notes early in his thread.