Magnetic Sitr Plate Advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
garwatts

Re: Magnetic Sitr Plate Advice

Post by garwatts » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Finally knocked mine up in a Tupperware box :roll: Appears to work fine, but have only tried with a cut down nail 'cos Timstar didn't have the 2 stir bars that I ordered, only the flask :(

shedman

Post by shedman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Im only using a 1inch spindle from an old cd rom, works fine in a 1ltr jar

softlad

Post by softlad » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:22 pm

I've knocked together the case sides from some 4" x 3/4" softwood that was kicking about. Thats now sprayed blue and drying. I'm using some strong perspex (supposed to be bullet proof) for the top.

I may steal your idea scooby and glue a bit of a rubber mat on the top.

My order is in for a couple of 1L conicals, stir bars and stir bar retriever. So this idea to harvest and re-use yeast, although initially costing very little, has now cost me more than 6 months worth of liquid yeast.

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:30 pm

softlad wrote:
My order is in for a couple of 1L conicals, stir bars and stir bar retriever. So this idea to harvest and re-use yeast, although initially costing very little, has now cost me more than 6 months worth of liquid yeast.
Where are you getting the stir bars and retriever from?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 pm

Stirrer bars are us BAFFCAT

beer taster
Piss Artist

Post by beer taster » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:49 pm

I bid on a few stir plates on ebay but was unsuccessful so decide to put one together, bought the magnets and stir bar other bits had kicking around the garage. Not pretty but does the job

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:02 am

Scooby wrote:Stirrer bars are us BAFFCAT
Cheers Chris
I can't see any there of a suitable size? I seem to recall 25-30mm length being the ideal? Or did I imagine that?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:32 am

That's how long mine is :lol: that positioned the poles over the magnets on the fan. Check the distance between your magnets. I don't suppose it makes to much difference though

softlad

Post by softlad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:02 am

garwatts wrote:
softlad wrote:
Where are you getting the stir bars and retriever from?
Ordered it from here. I was initially looking for 1L flasks but stumbled upon this site that sold everything I was after

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 am

Save some money and just hold any old magnet on the outside of the flask when you pitch your starter :wink: