Leaking Corny

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jonnyhop

Leaking Corny

Post by jonnyhop » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Think my Corny has a leak. When I left it full in the fridge overnight looked in the next morning and there was beer on the floor and some on the out jack at the top. Been slowly adding CO2 through the widget and pressure has not been retained. Is there a simple way to fix this or is it back to the shop? Just filled it with a Sam Smiths clone that I am really enjoying and would prefer not to lose.

Cheers

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Leaking Corny

Post by Garth » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm

sounds like it's leaking from the out poppet, the poppet itself may be not seated inside the post exactly spot on, or you don't have enough pressure inside the cornie to have sealed the poppets. Also, check to post has been tightened really well.

Once mine is filled I blast it with a good 20psi to get everything, especially the lid, to seal then I drop it down again to 4-5psi.

adm

Post by adm » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 pm

It's also worth unscrewing the posts (maybe after you've drunk the beer) and removing the poppets, dip tubes, o-rings and giving everything a good boil and a scrub then reassembling carfeully. Sometimes bit of crud can get stuck in there and stop them sealing correctly. I lost nearly a corny full of one of the best ales I've ever made to a lump of crud stuck in the post once....

jonnyhop

Post by jonnyhop » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Cheers for the posts

Found a solution, albeit unsatisfactory. I despense through a hose/tap, just stuck this on the out poppet. Losing preassure but no beer. Gonna keep it on untill I have finished this batch then unscrew the poppet and have a look............

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:57 pm

If you're no longer losing beer then you shouldn't be losing pressure either. I'll wager that the C02 is going into solution and carbonating your beer.

jonnyhop

Post by jonnyhop » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 pm

so I took off the socket, took the line out and gave both a scrub. I replaced the o ring and then resealed, carefully manipulating the poppet so it appeared to be in the center. I left it overnight with the same beer in and no leaks (pretty pleased) then have justed added CO2 and its leaking again. its leaking less, but a leak is a leak.

Any ideas would be massivly appreciated, my second corny has started to leak from the out socket as well #-o

Jonny

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Before filling the corny with beer,pour a kettle full of boiling water into the corny,put the lid on and then invert the keg for a few minutes.This softens the plastic on the poppets and helps them find a good seal.
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

jonnyhop

Post by jonnyhop » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:41 pm

cheers for the quick reply - I normally sterilise using boiling water, giving it a good slosh around, until it builds up enough pressure to dispense some (I use an 8l jam pan of boiling water) then put another 8l of cold water in to cool it then add beer, seal and add some co2. Not sure what to do next? I am only losing a small amount of beer but its pretty unsatisfactory.