Has anyone used this for a pump ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MMBrewing

Has anyone used this for a pump ?

Post by MMBrewing » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:18 am

My all grain setup is expanding everytime i draw it out on paper, it seems that with each bit i buy i think of another that i need - hence a pump. originally i was planning to use a jug to raise water to the HLT at the top of the system and then use that lovely free gravity to do the rest but I have chickened out of this solution on the grounds that one day i'll tip the jug over me :shock:

So - has anyone used this as a pump http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item1458.htm or any other suggestions for a pump . I'll be using it to raise the water for the mash (and sparging) and transfer from the underback to the copper which will be at the same level roughly . I will be mounting the pump beneath the bench so hopefully whichever one I go for should prime without too much fuss. Looking forward to your comments / suggestions.

brewzone

Re: Has anyone used this for a pump ?

Post by brewzone » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Yiu can buy a brand new magnetic coupled pump on Ebay from a seller called normanumpa.

They usually come in at around £60.00 with the postage and are used by loads of people on Jims.

They are the GP12/20 Totton bump and work very well.

Being magnetic coupled they are easily controlled via a ball valve and allow very slow flow rates.

The drill type pumps work but there is a chance of grease contaminating the wort or so I have read.

Go for the Totton You won't regret it.

BZ

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm

I would have a word with 'Norm', he sells Totton pumps for similar money.

Got one for my birthday a few months ago, they work really well

Brewzone beat me to it

+1
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

MMBrewing

Post by MMBrewing » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks guys, i have sent him a message by fleabay messaging . I got a corny from him recently and it was perfect :=P

Belto
Piss Artist

Post by Belto » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 pm

is this a silly question,
has anyone used a washing m/c pump :?:
what height are these capable of,
Flow rates should be O'K